Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies
Social Sciences Concentration
AOS Code: U862
University Residency and GPA Minimum Requirements (see bulletin)
- 122 Total Semester Credits:
Accepted transfer credit + courses completed at UNCG.
- 31 Semester Credits from UNCG:
Minimum 12 s.h. toward any major and 9 s.h. toward any minor.
- 36 Semester Credits at 300 Level or Above.
(Most BLS Social Sciences courses are at 300- & 400-level.)
- 2.0 Cumulative GPA: Minimum GPA for coursework attempted at UNCG.
BLS Social Sciences Concentration: 30 Semester Hours (see bulletin)
- BLS Social Sciences Foundation Courses
These courses should be taken in the first semester(s) of the program.
- BLS Social Sciences Intermediate Seminar
This course should be taken midway through the program.
- SSC 350: Inequality in a Changing World: 1 course.
- BLS Social Sciences Distribution:
At least one course from three different areas listed below. Courses counted toward an additional or previously completed major or minor will not count toward this concentration.
- Anthropology: ATY courses at 300 level or above.
- Comm Studies: CST courses at 300 level or above.
- Economics: ECO 201, ECO courses at 300 level or above.
- Geography: GEO courses at 300 level or above, excluding
GEO 311, 312, 314, 330, 359, 510, 511, 559, 570, 589.
- Political Science: PSC 240, PSC courses at 300 level or above.
- Psychology: PSY 240, 280, PSY courses at 300 level or above.
- Sociology: SOC 201, SOC courses at 300 level or above.
- BLS Social Sciences Area of Emphasis:
At least three additional courses from one of the areas listed above. Area of Emphasis cannot be in the same discipline as an additional or previously-completed major or minor.
- BLS Senior Seminar in the Social Sciences
To be taken in the final semester of the BLS Social Sciences Concentration
- BLS Electives: as desired, to meet residency and upper-division requirements.
College of Arts & Sciences General Education Core Requirements (GEC+CAR)
- GFA: Fine Arts: 1 course.
- GLT: Literature:
2 different courses.
- GPR: Philosophical, Religious, & Ethical Perspectives: 1 course.
- GMO: Modern History: 1 course.
- GPM: Pre-Modern History: 1 course.
- GMT: Mathematics: 1 course.
- GLS: Life Science: 1 course.
- GPS: Physical Science: 1 course.
- NS: Additional Natural Science: 1 course. (GLS or GPS)
- LAB: Natural Science Lab, to accompany GLS or GPS: 1 laboratory.
- GRD1: Reasoning and Discourse: ENG 101 or Equivalent: 1 course.
- GRD: Reasoning and Discourse: 1 course.
- GSB: Social & Behavioral Sciences:
3 different courses from ≥ 2 departments.
- GFL: Foreign Language Intermediate Proficiency:
204 level; requires 4 semesters for most students.
Markers (may be combined with courses above):
- GLOB1: Global Nonwestern (GN): 1 course.
- GLOB2: Global (GL or GN): 3 courses.
- SI: Speaking Intensive: 2 courses (1 must be in BLS major).
- WI: Writing Intensive: 4 courses (1 must be in BLS major).
Your Degree Evaluation will show which of these degree requirements you have met.
*Students enrolled at UNCG prior to 2001 may be under CLER:
College of Arts and Sciences Liberal Education Requirements