Dr. Omar H. Ali
Coordinator of Diversity Initiatives
Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies, African American Studies Program
(Specialization: Comparative African Diaspora History, Independent Politics, Islam in the Indian Ocean World)
The Responsibilities of the Coordinator for Diversity Initiatives (CDI):
- In cooperation with Dean Timothy Johnston, the CDI works with search committees on best practices in recruiting and retaining diverse faculty.
- Review all Affirmative Actions forms submitted by search committees to the College’s Affirmative Action Officer.
- Advise search committees and department heads on strategies for increasing the diversity of applicant pools.
- Review search committee recruitment plans and recommend modifications to the Dean as necessary.
- Certify the applicant pool and the selection of candidates recommended to the Dean for campus interviews.
- With the assistance of the Office of Institutional Research, maintain a current file of on national patterns of faculty diversity and availability of minority candidates in graduate programs.
- With the assistance of the College Instructional Technology Consultant staff, develop and maintain a diversity section of the College web site.
- Organize and chair the diversity committees to address issues related to faculty diversity.
- Provide liaison for the College with other offices and initiatives involved with diversity.
- Propose new initiatives regarding diversity.