The College of Arts & Sciences Values Diversity:
Diversifying the faculty promotes excellence, innovation in research, intellectual growth, and human development.
- Offers students a broad range of viewpoints and experiences both in and out the classroom
- Prepares students for living and working with people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Provides an appropriate range of role models for a diverse student body
- Expands the range of research and teaching interests represented in The College
- Increases collegiality for under-represented faculty
In a broad sense, diversity includes differences in ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, and numerous other aspects of the human condition, all of which may challenge our students' perceptions and understanding and contribute usefully to their intellectual and personal development.
From Agenda for Faculty Diversity, 2008