The Archaeology Program is a multidisciplinary exploration of the relationship between people and the environment with a focus on archaeological method and theory. Dr. Jeff Soles is the current program director. Anthropology, Classics and Geography professors mentor interested students. Students take coursework in all three disciplines.
The Applied Archaeology Laboratory is located in McIver room 52 and 52a in the renovated old ceramic studio space. Students and professors use study collections for hands-on research. Students may also inquire about volunteering or taking a readings course to learn the fundamentals of laboratory processing. Occasionally small grant projects or contracts are available.
Dr. Linda France Stine is the director of the laboratory. Her Triad public archaeology projects include Cemetery, Revolutionary, Industrial, Farmstead/Plantation and Urban sites (e.g., Tannenbaum Historic Park, Troublesome Creek Ironworks).
The 2008 UNCG Archaeological Fieldschool was a success thanks to numerous students, volunteers, visitors and the hard-working director at Blandwood Mansion Historic Site, Ashley Poteat. Our work helped Greensboro celebrate the Bicentennial and was funded in part though a Bicentennial Grant supported by the History Committee and through UNCG. We found two unexpected walls, more walls, a large pit, postholes and myriad firstname.lastname@example.org or (336) 256-1098
Spring Semester 2009
Open Laboratory Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays 1:45-3:30.
Additional Laboratory Hours by prior arrangement