SERVICE: Professional membership
Member of Decision Sciences Institute (DSI)
Member of Association for Information Systems (AIS)
President, Global Information Technology Management Association (GITMA)
SERVICE: Editorial Board/Referee/Reviewer/Discussant/Chair
- Founding Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Global Information Technology Management (1998 to present). Was the founding Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Global Information Management (1991-1997).
- Conference Chair of the sixth annual Global Information Technology Management (GITM) World Conference to be held in Anchorage, Alaska, USA on June 5, 6 & 7, 2005.
- Co-Chair of “Global Information Technology Management” track at the International Conference on Information Systems – ICIS (Dec. 2005)
- Conference Chair of the fifth annual Global Information Technology Management (GITM) World Conference held in San Diego, USA on June 13, 14 & 15, 2004.
- Conference Chair of the fourth annual Global Information Technology Management (GITM) World Conference held in Calgary, Canada on June 8, 9 & 10, 2003.
- Conference Chair for the third annual Global Information Technology Management (GITM) World Conference held in New York on June 23, 24 & 25, 2002.
- Conference Chair for the second annual Global Information Technology Management (GITM) World Conference held in Dallas, Texas on June 10, 11 & 12, 2001.
- Conference Chair for the first annual Global Information Technology Management (GITM) World Conference held in Memphis, Tennessee on June 11, 12 & 13, 2000.
- Program committee member of the BITWorld 2000 and BITWorld 1999 conferences.
- Conference chair for the conference on "The ERP Revolution: Critical success Factors and Impacts" in April 1999.
- Co-chair of the minitrack on “Global Information Technology Management and Global Electronic Commerce” at the 1999 AIS conference in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Conference chair for the conference on "The Impending Year 2000: IT Challenges, Strategies, and Solutions" on July 13, 1998.
- Consulting Editor for the book "The Manager's Bible: A Practical Guide for the Current and Future Manager". Ivy League Publishing. Marietta, Georgia. 1998
- Chair of the minitrack on “Global Information Technology Management” at the 1996 AIS conference in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Chair of "Global Information Technology Management" track at the 1996 Information Resources Management Association Conference, Washington, D.C., 1996.
- Track chair of the special track on Management Information Systems at the ICAUTO-95 conference, Indore, India, December 1995.
- Track chair of "Competitive Papers" track at the Southern MIS Association Conference, Gulfport, Mississippi, 1995.
- Track chair at the first annual conference of the Southern MIS association, Gulfport, Mississippi, 1994.
- Member of the program committee of the 1995 International Conference of the Information Resources Management Association, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Director, Global Information Management Institute, Information Resources Management Association (1991-98).
- Local Arrangements Chair for the Roundtable Workshop on "Successful Implementation of Executive Information Systems", sponsored by Southern Illinois University and Memphis State University, at Memphis, TN, September 19, 1991
- Conference Chair of the 2nd International Conference of the Information Resources Management Association, held in Memphis, Tennessee, May 19‑22, 1991.
- Associate Editor of the Information Resources Management Journal (IRMJ). (1989-97).
- Associate Editor of the Global Information Technology Management Series, Idea Group Publishing (1990-94).
- Reviewed proposal for a proposed book manuscript entitled "Strategic and Economic Impacts of Information Technology Investment: Perspectives on Organizational Growth and Competitive Advantage" for Idea Group Publishing. (November, 1990).
- Member of the editorial board of the Journal of Database Management, formerly Journal of Database Administration (1989-97).
- Member of the
editorial board of the Information Resources Management
Track chair of the DSS/Expert Systems track at the 1990 Southwest Decision Sciences Institute conference in Dallas, March 1990.
- Program committee member of the first national conference of the Information Management Resource Association held in Hershey, Pennsylvania in May, 1990.
Reviewed journal articles for:
- Decision Sciences (Oct 06, Dec 04, July 02, Jan. 02, March 00, June 99, Oct 98, May 98, Oct 97, May 97, Sept 96, June 96, Sept. 95, Feb. 95, Feb. 94, March 92, June 91, April 90, May 89, Sep. 88, Feb. 88, Oct. 87, April 87).
- Journal of MIS (Feb. 99, May 99)
- MIS Quarterly (Aug 05, Nov 03, Oct 94, May 94, June 91, July 90, Sept. 89, March 89, Oct. 88, Feb. 87, July 87).
- Communications of the ACM (Aug 2005, Sept 2000, Oct 99, Oct 95)
- ACM Transactions on Database Systems (Oct. 86).
- ACM Computing Surveys (Jan. 85).
- Arab Journal of Administrative Sciences (June 01)
- Journal of Strategic Information Systems (June 99)
- Journal of Information Technology Cases & Applications (March 05, April 02)
- Information Resource Management Journal (Jan 97, Dec 96, Sept 96, July 96, Oct. 94, Feb. 94, July 92, March 92, Feb. 92, Jan. 92, Nov. 91, Oct. 91, July 91, June 90, May 90, April 89, March 89).
- International Journal of Human Computer Studies – IJHCS (Oct. 03)
- Data Base (March 97, Feb 96, Nov 93, July 92)
- Journal of Database Management, formerly Journal of Database Administration (Aug 92, Feb. 92, July 91, April 90, Nov. 90).
- IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management (Oct. 07, Oct. 06)
- International Information Systems (Aug 92).
- Information Processing Letters (Sept. 87).
- Information Sciences (Feb. 92, Sept. 88).
- Information Systems Management (July 2007)
- Information Systems Journal (Nov. 04)
- IIMB Management Review (Dec. 05)
- Journal of Asia-Pacific Business (Sept. 04)
- Journal of Information Technology Management (Nov. 93)
- Journal of End User Computing (March 95)
- Journal of Applied Management Studies (May 97)
- Omega - The Int'l Journal of Management Science (May 98, Nov 97)
- International Journal of Information Management (March 06)
Reviewed conference articles for:
- ICIS – International Conference on Information Systems (May 2007)
- AMCIS Conference (March 2004 – 2 papers, April 2000, April 1999, April 1998)
- Conference on Information Technology in Asia: Information Equality in the Next Millennium - Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia (1999)
- HICSS Conference (2001, 1994, 1991, 1990).
- Annual North American IBSCUG Conference (1987).
- Decision Sciences Institute (2 papers in May, 2005, 2 papers in May 2003, 1995 & previous years).
- Annual International Smart-Sourcing conference, September 2007 (July 2007).
- ACM ‑ Computer Science Conference (January, 1984).
- SAIS Conference (November 2003)
- International Conference on Systems Thinking in Management – ICSTM (March 2004 – 2 papers)
- Annual International Outsourcing Conference (June 2004).
- Reviewed the book “Business Statistics: A First Course” by Levine, Krehbiel, and Berenson, Prentice Hall, which is being revised for its fourth edition (January 2004).
- Reviewed the manuscript “Global Issues of the Internet and Electronic Commerce” for The Internet Encyclopedia to be published by John Wiley & Sons (November 2002).
- Served as external examiner for the Ph.D. thesis “Measurement of Service Quality in Engineering Education and Healthcare” by Mr. Palani Natha Raja M., Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India (October 2007).
- Served as external examiner for the Ph.D. thesis “A Study of Information Systems Outsourcing in Banking Sector in India” by Mr. Umesh Gulla, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India (December 2006).
- Served as external examiner for the Ph.D. thesis “eReadiness and eCommerce Success: Developing and Exploring an Antecedent Model in Developing Countries Context” by Mr. A Molla-Adankew, University of Cape Town, South Africa (July 2002).
- Reviewed the book "Global Information Technology Education: Issues and Trends", by Idea Group Publishing (February, 1992).
- Reviewed a proposal for a book on "Strategic and Economic Impacts of Information Technology Investment" to be published by Idea Group Publishing (January, 1991).
- Reviewed a proposal for a book on "Using Information Systems to Compete" to be possibly published by McGraw-Hill, Inc. (March, 1994)
- Reviewed a proposal for an Information Technologies and Electronic Commerce (ITEC) Center made to the Israel Science Foundation (April 1999).
Session chair at:
- AIS Americas Conference on Information Systems (August 1996)
- U.S. Competitiveness in the Global Marketplace Conference (October, 1991).
- First IRMA international conference (May, 1990).
- SW ‑ DSI conference (March, 1990).
- Midwest DSI (May, 1988).
- National DSI (Nov. 1988 and Nov. 1987).
- ORSA/TIMS (October, 1987).
- ACM ‑ Computer Science Conference (February, 1984).
Discussant for conference papers at:
- International Conference on Information Systems – ICIS (Dec. 2005)
- National Decision Sciences Institute (1996)
- National Decision Sciences Institute (1985).
- Midwest Decision Sciences Institute (1985).
- Southeast Decision Sciences Institute (1987).
2005-06 Search committee for Transportation Distribution Networks & Logistics position
2002- Chair of the External Relations Committee, including the ISM advisory Board
2004-05 Chair of the Search Committee to recruit for a senior faculty position
2003- Chair of the Ph.D. Program Committee
2000-03 Chairing a committee to establish a Ph.D. in MIS at UNCG.
2000-03 Member of Bryan School’s Strategic Planning Committee
following are at the
1997-00 Chair, Graduate Studies Committee, MIS area
1997-00 Ph.D. Coordinator, MIS area
1997-00 College Tenure & Promotion Committee
1996-97 Ad hoc IMBA Curriculum Review Committee
1995-97 CIBER Advisory Council
1995-96 Ad hoc MIS Graduate Curriculum Committee
1994-95 Chairman search committee
1992-94 Chair of Department Undergraduate curriculum committee.
1992-94 College Undergraduate Curriculum Committee.
1991-92 Department Graduate Committee
1989-91 Department Tenure & Promotion Committee
1989‑91 Dean's committee on international studies.
1989‑90 MIS Chair search committee.
1988‑90 College lectures and program committee.
1989‑90 International business committee.
1989‑90 College curriculum committee.
1989‑90 Departmental research seminars committee.
1988‑90 Chair of the departmental M.S. examination committee.
1988‑90 Departmental promotion & tenure committee.
1988‑89 Departmental faculty recruitment committee.
1988‑89 College council for research.
1987‑89 Chair of the departmental seminar committee.
1988‑89 Committee to develop Ph.D. program in MIS/DS.
1988‑89 Committee to revise the MIS undergraduate program.
1987‑88 Faculty search committee.
force to assess computer needs and configuration for the
1986‑87 Committee to revise the service course on "Introduction to Computers with Applications".
Task Force to study issues and implement various programs at
to establish the Ph.D. program in MIS at
1986‑87 College International Business Committee.
1986‑87 Departmental software committee.
SERVICE: Local Businesses & Community
Was interviewed for 30 minutes on Memphis Cable TV 18 - The Library Channel of Y2K issues on May 21, 1999. Program aired twice a week in July 1999.
Was interviewed for 30 minutes on Y2K issues on Memphis Cable TV - Channel 17 on April 27, 1999.
"The Year 2000 Bug: Myths, Facts, and Expectations", talk presented at a seminar conducted by Shoemaker & Company in Memphis on September 3, 1998.
Supervised student projects (1987, 88, 89) for the development of information systems in Memphis companies and Memphis State University.
Prepared a demonstration of
a database application
for an open house in Nov. 1987 for high
RECOGNITIONS, ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND AWARDS
• Nominated for the 2005-06 Bryan School Teaching Excellence Award.
• Received the University-wide UNCG Research Excellence Award at the rank of full professor (May 2005).
• Conference Co-Chair of the seventh annual Global Information Technology Management Association (GITMA) World Conference to be held in Orlando , Florida , USA on June 11, 12, & 13, 2006.
• Conference Chair of the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth annual Global Information Technology Management (GITMA) Association World Conferences held in Memphis (2000), Dallas (2001), New York (2002), Calgary - Canada (2003), San Diego (2004), and Anchorage – Alaska (2005) respectively.
• Appointed the Joe Rosenthal Excellence Professor of Information Systems and Operations Management at the University of North Carolina – Greensboro in July 2001.
• Was ranked 16 th among all MIS researchers by the Communications of the Association for Information Systems (CAIS - March 2000). Was ranked 4 th among all authors with the most publications in MIS Quarterly and Information & Management ( Information & Management – vol 37, 2000).
• Received first place award for a refereed journal article published in 1999, given by the Fogelman College of Business & Economics at the University of Memphis .
• Delivered the keynote address "Global IT: A Stream of Research and Some Resources" at the IFIP Working Group 8.7 conference at ICIS in Helsinki , Finland (December 1998).
• Conference chair for the conference on "The ERP Revolution: Critical success Factors and Impacts" in April 1999.
• Conference chair for the conference on "The Impending Year 2000: IT Challenges, Strategies, and Solutions" on July 13, 1998 .
• Project Director, SCB Computer Technology Global IT Center at The University of Memphis , February 1998 to July 2000. Had complete responsibility for all programs and projects undertaken by the Center.
• In December 1997-January 1998, received a major grant from SCB Computer Technology to establish a Global IT Center at the University of Memphis . The total grant was for over $1 million in two parts: a one-half million dollar endowment, and at a 5-year research grant of $519,972 (1st year: $96,000, 2 nd year: $99,840, 3 rd year: $103,836, 4 th year: 107,988, 5 th year: 112,308). These grants were reported in several newspapers (The Commercial Appeal, Memphis Business Journal, U of M Update, Helmsman).
• Currently Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Global Information Technology Management . Was the founding Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Global Information Management (1991-1997).
• Delivered the keynote speech: "Global IT: Research, Theory & Practice" at the inaugural conference of the IFIP Working Group 8.7 (Informatics in Multinational Enterprises) in Washington , D.C (October 1997).
• Was nominated for the 1998 Eminent faculty Award at the University of Memphis .
• Associate Editor of Information Resources Management Journal , and on editorial review board of Journal of Database Management (1990-97).
• Was nominated for the 1997 Eminent faculty Award at the University of Memphis .
• Received best paper award at the 1993 IRMA International conference for the paper: "Research Issues in Global Information Technology Management."
• Nominated by the Fogelman College of Business & Economics for the University Distinguished Research Award (March, 1993).
• Nominated for Memphis State University 's prestigious SPUR Award (March 1993).
• Journal articles nominated by the department chairman for the college publication awards (1992, 1993, 1994).
• Received in July 1992 First place award in the Society for Information Management (SIM) 1992 International Paper Award's Competition. The award included $5000 cash, a trip to SIM 1992 conference to receive the award, and the article publication in the MIS Quarterly . The article's title was: "The PRISM System: A Key to Federal Express Corporation's Organizational Effectiveness" co-authored with J. Perkins and S. Zeltmann.
• Nominated by the Fogelman College of Business & Economics for the University Distinguished Research Award (March, 1992).
• Was the Conference Chair of the 2nd International Conference of the Information Resources Management Association (May 1991). Received the Organizational Leadership Award in recognition.
• Nominated for Memphis State University 's prestigious SPUR Award (March 1991).
• Two journal articles nominated by the dept. chairman for college publication awards (January 1991).
• Awarded in May 1990 the Dean's Merit of Excellence Award for 1989-90 (at Memphis State University ).
• Journal article nominated by the department chairman for the college publication award (January, 1990).
• Awarded in June 1989 the Dean's Merit of Excellence Award for 1988-89 (at Memphis State University ).
• Received in April, 1989 first place in the theoretical category of the college publication awards given by the Fogelman College of Business & Economics at Memphis State University .
• Received best paper award at the Annual North American IBSCUG Conference in July, 1987.
• Chaired the doctoral committees of and graduated ten Ph.D. students.