Susan C. Shelmerdine
Office: MHRA 1111
Office Phone: 336-334-5719
At UNCG Since: 1981
Ph.D. University of Michigan – 1981
A.M. University of Michigan – 1977
A.B., cum laude, Smith College – 1976
Dr. Shelmerdine is especially interested in Greek and Latin pedagogy and in early Greek poetry. She is currently at work preparing an edition of the Homeric Hymns for the new Oxford Greek and Latin College Commentaries series and consulting on a series of children's books on Mythology.
- Introduction to Latin, 2nd ed. Focus Publishing/R. Pullins Company. 2013; 1st edition 2005, revised 2007.
- The Homeric Hymns. Focus Publishing/R. Pullins Company. 1995; revised edition 2000.
- Greek for Reading, G. Seligson (primary author) and A. Loftus. Univ. of Michigan Press. 1994.
- "Pindaric Praise and the Third Olympian," Harvard Studies in Classical Philology 91 (1987) 65-81.
- "Odyssean Allusions in the Fourth Homeric Hymn," Transactions of the American Philological Association116 (1986) 49-63.
- "Hermes and the Tortoise: A Prelude to Cult," Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies 25 (1984) 201-208.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Ovatio, Classical Association of the Middle West and South, 2007
- Merita Award, American Classical League, 2005
- Outstanding Regional Vice President, Classical Association of the Middle West and South, 1998, 2003, 2004
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship, 1996-1997
- Alumni Teaching Excellence Award (junior), UNCG, 1991-1992
- Junior Fellowship, The Center for Hellenic Studies, Washington, D.C., 1985-1986