Jeffrey S. Soles
Office: MHRA 1107
Office Phone: 336-334-5214
At UNCG Since: 1977
Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania – 1973
M.A. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill – 1969
B.A. Dartmouth College – 1964
Dr. Soles co-directs the Mochlos Excavation Project, which involves the cleaning and excavation of a number of related sites on the island of Mochlos and its adjacent coastal plain, located just east of the Bay of Mirabello in eastern Crete. The project began in the summer of 1989, and the 2012 campaign hopes to complete the excavation of the House of the Lady with the Ivory Pyxis, which was found in the closing days of the 2010 excavation.
- Mochlos IIC: Period IV. The Mycenaean Settlement and Cemetery: The Human Remains and Other Finds, co-edited with C. Davaras. INSTAP Academic Press. 2011.
- Mochlos IIB. Period IV: The Mycenaean Settlement and Cemetery. The Pottery, co-edited with C. Davaras. INSTAP Academic Press. 2010.
- “The Impact of the Santorini Eruption on a Small Coastal Town in East Crete,” in D. Warburton (ed.) Time’s Up! Dating the Minoan Eruption of Santorini, Acts of the Minoan Eruption Chronology Workshop, Sandbjerg 2007, Athens 2009, 105-114.
- Mochlos IIA. Period IV: The Mycenaean Settlement and Cemetery: The Sites. INSTAP Academic Press. 2008.
Selected Awards and Honors
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship, American School of Classical Studies, 2006-2007
- Loeb Classical Library Foundation, Harvard University, 2004, 2005, 2009
- National Geographic Society Research Grant, 1983
- Archaeological Institute of America, Harriet Pomerance Fellowship, 1975-1976
- Co-Director of the Mochlos Excavation Project, 1989 – Present