||The State Normal and Industrial School opens with a Department
of Ancient and Modern Languages which offers a four year curriculum in Latin.
Three years of Latin are required of all students.
||The Department of Latin is already a separate unit with two full-time
faculty members. The Department Head is Viola
Boddie who continues in the position until 1934-35 when she teaches
part-time before retiring the next year. Miss Marie
B. Denneen serves
as Acting Head of the department for 1934-35.
||A Latin Club /Classical Club is founded for students wanting to learn about "the cultural side of Latin." (Club
||Having been renamed as the North Carolina College for Women in 1919, the
campus joins the redefined state system, along with the campuses in Chapel
Hill and Raleigh, and is renamed The Woman’s College of the University
of North Carolina.
||The Department is renamed the Department of Classical Civilization and
expands its offerings to include 4 Greek courses, 20 Latin courses, and
2 courses in English on Greek and Roman literature. Students can now major
in Latin Language and Literature or Greek Language and Literature. Viola
Boddie retires, and Charlton
C. Jernigan begins
his service as Department Head.
||A new Classical Club is founded for students who have made marks of B or
better in Greek or Latin. (Club
||Charlton Jernigan retires, and Francis A. Laine joins
the faculty as Department Head, serving until 1978.
||The Woman’s College becomes co-ed and is renamed The University
of North Carolina at Greensboro.
||A third full-time faculty member joins the Department.
||Archaeology becomes part of the curriculum for the first time, with a
200-level course "Introduction to Classical Archaeology" offered in the
fall. The Department is offering separate B.A. degrees in Latin and in
||A Civilization concentration is added to the existing language concentrations
for each degree. The department begins several years of administration
under acting Heads from other departments, with an external advisory committee
also serving from 1983-1987. J.
Douglas Minyard serves as Department
Head for the next two years, 1987-88 and 1988-89.
||A fourth full-time faculty member joins the Department.
||The Department undertakes a whole-scale restructuring of its programs
and curriculum in order to attract more students, to make the major programs
more possible for students to complete, to increase its commitment to teacher
education, and to include as many general education (AULER) courses as possible
in its offerings. At the same time it begins to explore the needs of Latin
teachers in North Carolina and wins a grant to offer the first Governor’s
Institute in Latin at the graduate level. Susan C. Shelmerdine begins service
as Department Head, serving until 1992 when Jeffrey Soles assumes the Headship.
||The first Governor’s Institute in Latin is offered in the summer
and planning begins for the creation of a graduate degree program for Latin
||As a result of its restructuring process, the Department discontinues
its two existing B.A. programs and begins offering one new B.A. degree
in Classical Studies with four concentrations (Classical Archaeology,
Classical Civilization, Greek Language and Literature, Latin Language
and Literature) and a special “A” certification track for
prospective teacher education students.
||The new M.Ed. program in Latin, created in response to continuing demand
by in-service Latin teachers in the state, begins enrolling students. A
fifth tenure-track faculty member joins the Department.
||The M.Ed. program in Latin undergoes revisions to meet new state standards
effective in 2000. Susan C. Shelmerdine replaces Jeffrey Soles as Department
||A sixth tenure-track faculty member joins the Department.
||The Department revises and expands its curriculum, and restructures the
B.A. degree in Classical Studies with three concentrations (Classical
Archaeology, Classical Civilization, Language and Literature) and the certification
track for teacher education students. At the end of May, the Department,
along with other humanities departments housed in the McIver Building,
moves to the new Moore Humanities and Research Administration Building
at the corner of Spring Garden and Forest Streets.
||A seventh tenure-track faculty member joins the Department.
||Hugh Parker replaces Susan C. Shelmerdine as Department Head
||UNCG in Rome, a new 4 week study abroad course is added to the curriculum, to be offered every other summer. It joins the Mochlos Project in Greece as the Depertment's 2nd regular opportunity for students to travel and study abroad.