Elementary Mathematics Education
Teacher Leadership Track
Students who are current classroom teachers at the elementary level. Upon completion of this 33 hour graduate program, students will earn "M" Licensure and the Add-on Elementary Mathematics Licensure
The Master of Education (Teacher Leadership Track) can be taken on a full-time or part-time basis. The program is aligned with the North Carolina Advanced Competency Standards. The program is oriented toward improving results in teaching practice, as well as gaining critical knowledge, skills, and dispositions, in action research, professional development, leadership, and working successfully with diverse learners in schools.
- Apply online through the UNCG Graduate School website where you can find additional information. Applications are reviewed year-round but the Graduate School has deadlines for each semester.
- Graduate School bulletin admission requirements
- You will need one official transcript from every college and university you have attended, including UNCG.
- Three recommendations are required from former professors and employers. These can be completed online or submitted in sealed envelopes.
- A Residency Statement is required for applicants claiming North Carolina residency.
- Applicants must take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and submit their test scores to the Graduate School. These should not be more than five years old.
- Applicants for this program are required to submit a personal statement and a copy of an updated resume.
- Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education
- Initial or "A" license in Elementary Education
- Two years teaching experience
Program of Study:
(33 hour program)
Core: (9 hours)
- TED 545 Diverse Learners or TED 646 Intro. to Equity Education
- TED 669 Educational Implications of Learning & Developmental Theory or TED 622 Differentiated Instruction or approved substitute
- ERM 604 Methods of Educational Research or ERM 605 Educational Measurement & Evaluation or TED 665 Diagnosis & Corrective Teaching in Mathematics
Pedagogical Expertise: (18 hours)
- TED 658 Number Systems & Operations: K-5 Mathematical Tasks
- TED 659 Rational Numbers & Operations: K-5 Learning Trajectories
- TED 660 Data Analysis & Measurement: K-5 Classroom Interactions
- TED 661 Algebraic Reasoning: K-5 Discourse & Questioning
- TED 662 Geometry & Spatial Visualization: K-5 Assessment
- TED 663 Mathematical Modeling: K-5 Leadership
Professional Development/Leadership: (6 hours)
- TED 676 Teacher as Researcher and Leader I(3)
- TED 670 Teacher as Mathematics Education Researcher, or TED 677 Teacher As Researcher and Leader II (when TED 670 is not being offered)
Plan of Study to be completed and signed by advisor within the first 9 hours of coursework :
Plan Study (word)
Plan Study (pdf)
Dr. Kerri Richardson
482 School of Education Building
TED Mathematics Education Website