Office: MHRA 3324
Office Phone: 336-334-3280
At UNCG Since: 1993
Ph.D. University of New Hampshire-1988
M.A. University of New Hampshire-1981
M.A. New York University-1970
B.A. New York University-1964
Dr. Chiseri-Strater continues research on the ways that ethnographic enquiry enhances literacy research. In addition to teaching in the English department, she is also on the faculty of the Women's and Gender Studies Program.
- Co-author with Donna Qualley. “Split at the Root." Writing Program Administration Journal 31.1-2 (2007): 171-184.
- Co-author with Connie Sunstein. Fieldworking: Reading and Writing Research, 3rded. New York: Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2007.
- Co-author with Connie Sunstein.What Works? Design for Teacher Inquiry. Portsmouth: Heinemann, 2006.
- Co-author with Jackie Grutsch McKinney. “Ruptured Tales: Repositioning the Teaching Journal in the TA Seminar.” Writing Program Administration Journal 27.3 (2004).
- Co-author with Connie Sunstein. “More Than Just Writing About Me? Linking Self and Other in the Ethnographic Essay.” Research Writing Revisited: A Sourcebook for Teachers. Ed. Pavel Zemliansky and Wendy Bishop. Portsmouth: Heinemann, 2004.
- “Artifacts-A Different Kind of Fact: How Material Culture Shapes the Researcher Portfolio.” Portfolio Standards. Portsmouth: Heinemann, 2000.
- “On Being Culturally Relevant.” Opps: What We Learn from our Teaching Mistakes. York: Sternhouse, 1996.
- “Turning in Upon Ourselves: Positionality, Subjectivity and Reflexivity.” Ethics and Representation in Qualitative Studies. Ed. Peter Mortensen and Gesa Kirsch. Urbana: National Council of Teachers of English, 1996.
- Co-author, with Cinthia Gannett and Sharyn Lowenstein. “Power, Politics, Pedagogy and the Journal.” Pedagogy in the Age of Politics: Writing and Reading (in) the Academy. Ed. Pat Sullivan and Donna Qualley. Urbana: National Council of Teachers of English, 1994.
- Co-author with Donna Qualley. “Collaboration as Reflexive Dialogue: A Knowing Deeper Than Reason.” Journal of Advanced Composition 14.1(1994): 111-30.
Awards and Honors
- Ashby Dialogue on Masculinity Studies, 2004-5.
- Faculty Development Grants, 1998-99.
- Innovation and Educational Opportunity Grant, University of New Hampshire, 1988-90.
- Dissertation Fellowship, University of New Hampshire, 1987-88.