Office: Foust 105
Office Phone: 336-334-5241
At UNCG Since: 1975
Ph.D. University of Virginia-1975
M.A. University of California at Santa Barbara-1970
B.A. University of Michigan-1968
Dr. Baker’s interests include medieval literature, especially Julian of Norwich and the Middle English Mystics, and Langland’sPiers Plowman.
- Co-editor with Sarah Salih. The Legacy of Julian of Norwich: Medieval Mysticism and Post-Medieval Reception. Palgrave Macmillan, under contract. Introduction with Sarah Salih: “Julie Norwich and Julian of Norwich: Annie Dillard’s Theodicy in Holy the Firm.”
- “Julian of Norwich and the Varieties of Middle English Mystical Discourse.” A Companion to Julian of Norwich. Ed. Liz Herbert McAvoy. Woodbridge: D. S. Bewer, 2008. 53-63.
- “‘The Greatest Riddle of the B Text’ of Piers Plowman: Why Langland Did Not Scrap the A Vita.” Late Medieval Literature and Spirituality: Essays in Honor of Elizabeth D. Kirk. Ed. Bonnie Wheeler. New York: Palgrave, 2006. 149-63.
- “Mystical and Devotional Literature.” A Companion to Medieval English Literature and Culture c. 1350-c. 1500. Ed. Peter Brown. Oxford: Blackwell Pub., 2006. 423-36.
- Editor. The Showings of Julian of Norwich: A Norton Critical Edition. New York: W.W. Norton, 2005.
- “The Structure of the Soul and the ‘Godly Wylle’ in Julian of Norwich’s Showings.” The Medieval Mystical Tradition in England (Exeter Symposium VII). Ed. E. A. Jones. Cambridge: D. S. Brewer, 2004. 37-49.
- Editor. Inscribing the Hundred Years War in French and English Cultures. SUNY Series in Medieval Studies. Albany: SUNY Press, 2000. “Introduction,” 1-16. “Meed and the Economics of Chivalry in Piers Plowman.” 55-72.
- Julian of Norwich’s Showings: From Vision to Book. Princeton: Princeton U P, 1994. Paperback, 1997.
- “Chaucer and Moral Philosophy: The Virtuous Women of the Canterbury Tales.” Medium Aevum 60 (1992): 241-256.
- “Chaucer’s Experiments with the ‘Thrifty Tale’: The Narratives of the Man of Law, the Clerk, and The Physician.”Mediaevalia 14 (1991 for 1988). 115-26.
Awards and Honors
- Tenured Alumni Teaching Excellence Award, 1995-96.