Office: MHRA 3307
Office Phone: 336-334-3974
At UNCG Since: 2010
M.F.A. Indiana University-2002
B.A. Tulane University-1997
Ms. Black teaches poetry and creative writing in the MFA program. Her current research as a Fulbright scholar concerns how both contemporary American and Northern Irish poets employ or disavow the use of recent history in their work, the tension between the claims of the political/historical realm and the claims of myth and fantasy. Other interests include nonfiction writing, poetics, and art history.
- “First Walk Through the Copse,” “How My Father Came by the Name Cuthbert.” Memorious 12 (2009)<www.memorious.org>.
- “Butano Ridge.” Santa Clara Magazine (Fall 2007) <http://www.scu.edu/scm/fall2007/index.cfm>.
- “Studies from Life,” “Wakulla Springs,” “Tolberton County, 1923,” and “Sweet Transmigrations.”Blackbird 5.2 (2006) <www.blackbird.vcu.edu>.
- Cottonlandia. Amherst: U of Massachusetts P, 2005.
- “My Only Golem.” Massachusetts Review 46.2 (2005): 294.
- “Near Palo Alto.” Phoebe (Spring 2005): 39.
- “Driving Tour.” Colorado Review (Fall 2004): 114-16.
- “Mephista Recounts Her Past Lives, or Nanotechnology,” and “The Legs of the Countess. ” Conjunctions. 17 April 2004 <www.conjunctions.com>
- “Notes on the Tapestry of the Apocalypse.”Pleiades (Fall 2004): 38-9.
- “The Branded Hand of Captain Walker, Abolitionist,” and “Midwestern Raptures.” Virginia Quaterly Review 80.1 (2004).
Awards and Honors
- Creative Writing Scholar Award, Fulbright-Queen’s University Belfast, 2011.
- NEA Individual Artist Fellowship, 2009.
- Irvine Foundation Faculty Grant, Santa Clara University, 2007.
- Sustainability Curriculum Grant, Santa Clara University, 2007.
- Multicultural Learning Research Grant, Santa Clara University, 2006.
- Juniper Prize in Poetry, University of Massachusetts Press, 2004.
- Stanford Artist-in-residence, Cite des Arts, Paris, France, 2003.
- Finalist for Yale Younger Poets Prize, 2003.
- Finalist for New Michigan Press/Diagram Chapbook Prize, 2003.
- Finalist for Crab Orchard Press Poetry Prize, 2003.