Office: MHRA 3111
Office Phone: 336-334-5660
At UNCG Since: 1976
Ph.D. Princeton University-1969
A.B. Harvard University-1964
Dr. Cushman is a leading international D. H. Lawrence scholar. He has broad interests in modern and contemporary drama and British poetry and fiction. He teaches seminars on Lawrence and Virginia Woolf and modern Irish literature.
- Co-editor with Michael Bell, Takeo Iida and Hiro Tateishi. D. H. Lawrence: Literature,Culture,History. Tokyo: Kokusho-KanKokai P, 2005.
- Co-editor with Earl G. Ingersoll. D. H. Lawrence: New Worlds. Madison: Fairleigh Dickinson U P, 2003.
- Introduction and notes. The Rainbow. D. H. Lawrence. New York: Modern Library, 2002. v-xxiii and 492-3.
- Introduction and notes. Love Among the Haystacks and Other Stories. Ed. John Worthen. London and New York: Penguin, 1996.
- Co-editor with Dennis Jackson. D. H. Lawrence’s Literary Inheritors. New York: St. Martin’s, 1991.
- Co-editor with Michael Squires. The Challenge of D. H. Lawrence. Madison: U of Wisconsin P, 1990.
- Editor. Memoir of Maurice Magnus. Santa Rosa: Black Sparrow P, 1987.
- Co-editor with E. Claire Healey. The Letters of D. H. Lawrence and Amy Lowell,1914-1925. Santa Barbara: Black Sparrow P, 1985.
- D. H. Lawrence at Work: The Emergence of the ‘Prussian Officer’ Stories. Charlottesville: U of Virginia P, 1978.
Awards and Honors
- Fulbright Senior Specialist, Bulgaria, 2001.
- Harry T. Moore Award for Lifetime Contributions to and Encouragement of D.H. Lawrence Studies, 1998.
- Korea Foundation Grant to lecture and meet with academics in Seoul, 1992.
- UNCG Research Excellence Award, 1991.
- Dr. Cushman has published over 60 essays in collections of essays and academic journals. He has written about Lawrence, Joyce, Fitzgerald, Huxley, Trollope, Dowson, Ted Hughes, Philip Larkin, Margaret Drabble, Hugh Leonard, Nin, Saul Bellow and Philip Roth, Joyce Carol Oates, Raymond Carver, Ben Stoltzfus, and Kafka.