Office: MHRA 3125
Office Phone: 336-334-5384
At UNCG Since: 1998
Ph.D. Indiana University-1998
M.A. Indiana University-1996
M.A. Indiana University-1995
B.A. University of Bucharest-1984
Dr. Moraru's interests include 20th-century American literature, primarily post-1945 fiction; literary and cultural theory; theories of community, intimacy, and affect; new materialism; comparative and global studies with focus on the U.S. and post-World War II Western Europe; literature and philosophy (particularly post-Nietzschean tradition and Levinas), and history of ideas; Cold War and post-Cold War studies in transnational perspective; postmodernism and poststructuralism; postcolonialism and its Central-East-European developments.
- “Contagion, Contamination, and Don DeLillo's Post-Cold War World-System: Steps toward a Haptical Theory of Culture.”Contagion: Health, Fear, Sovereignty. Bruce Magnusson and Zahi Zalloua, eds. Seattle: University of Washington Press. The “Global Re-visions” Series. Forthcoming 2012. Invited.
- “‘A foreign tongue to unite us’: Book Traveling with Dai Sijie.” Canadian Review of Comparative Literature. Forthcoming 2011.
- “The Forster Connection or, Cosmopolitanism Redux: Zadie Smith’s On Beauty, Howards End, and the Schlegels.”The Comparatist. Forthcoming 2011.
- Cosmodernism: American Narrative, Late Globalization, and the New Cultural Imaginary. Ann Arbor, MI: U of Michigan P, 2011, 440 pp.
- “Cosmobabble or, Federman’s Return.” Federman's Fictions. Jeffrey R. Di Leo, ed. Albany, NY: SUNY P. 2010, 241-255. Invited.
- Postcommunism, Postmodernism, and the Global Imagination. Ed. and preface. New York: Columbia UP/EEM Series, 2009. 308 pp.
- “Speakers and Sleepers: Chang-rae Lee’s Native Speaker, Whitman, and the Performance of Americanness.” College Literature 36.3 (Summer 2009): 66-91.
- Memorious Discourse: Reprise and Representation in Postmodernism. Madison. Teaneck, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson U P, 2005, 282pp.
- Rewriting: Postmodern Narrative and Cultural Critique in the Age of Cloning. Albany, NY: SUNY P, 2001, 248 pp. The SUNY P “Postmodern Culture” Series.
- Poetics of Reflection: An Archaeology of Mimesis. [Poetica Reflectarii: Incercare in arheologia mimezei] Summary in French. Bucharest: Universe P, 1990, 263 pp. Partially reprinted in The Play of Self. Albany, NY: SUNY P, 1994.
Awards and Honors
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship, Freiburg Univ., Germany, 2005-2007, 2010.
- UNCG Regular Faculty Grant, 2007.
- UNCG Center for Critical Inquiry Fellowship, 2007.
- UNCG Kohler Research Award, 2005 and 2007.
- UNCG College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Merit Awards for Research and Publication, 1999 and 2004.
- UNCG Research Excellence Award, 2003.
- UNCG International Travel Fund Award, 2003.
- UNCG College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Merit Awards for Research and Publication and Teaching, 2002.
- UNCG College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Merit Award for Research, 2000.
- UNC Chapel Hill Center for Slavic, Eurasian, and East European Studies Fellowship, 1999.
Christian Moraru's Website