The Department has one common application and recommendation form for all scholarships. Announcements for the opening of the scholarship search are made in March. The deadline is usually in late April.
Please note: some items require the Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe web site.
The English Department has several scholarships available for our majors:
- Ethel Stephens Arnett Scholarship
- The Arnett Scholarship was established in 1981 by Georgia Arnett Bonds and Dorothy Arnett Dixon in honor of their mother. It is awarded each year to a sophomore, junior, or senior majoring in History or English. Merit, with a 3.0 overall academic average, is a major consideration. Alternates annually between History and English.
- Ruth McKaughan & W. Bryan Carter Scholarship
- The Carter scholarship is the department's most prestigious scholarship. It is awarded annually to promising female English majors who are enrolled full-time, are single residents of North Carolina, have a minimum 3.3 academic average, do not have a car and demonstrate financial need.
- Amy M. Charles Memorial Scholarship
- Available for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Mr. & Mrs. Alexander B. Dusenbury Scholarship
- The Dusenbury Scholarship was established in 1983 by an anonymous donor. It is awarded to undergraduates Business or English majors on the basis of need, academic achievement, and promise of leadership.
- Elizabeth Robinson Fort Scholarship
- Katherine Robinson Everett, Class of 1913, established this fund in 1983, as a memorial to her sister. It is awarded to a full-time undergraduate student in the English Department on the basis of academic promise or ability.
- Leonard B. Hurley Memorial Scholarship
- This memorial fund was established by friends of Dr. Leonard B. Hurley, who for 39 years was a member of the University faculty and for 16 of those was head of the English Department. It is awarded annually to a senior majoring in English.
- Jackson-Loving-Gibson Scholarship
- Grave Evelyn Loving Gibson, Class of 1940, established this fund. It provides awards to students majoring in English who are talented writers and desire to pursue careers in writing. The creative writing faculty of the English Department chooses recipients.
- Emmett J. and Clara C. King Scholarship
- Established by Robert W. Keefe in memory of his wife, Clara Delores KIng, and her desire to honor her parents, Emmett J. and Clara C. King. It provides an award for a junior or senior majoring in English, who has at least a 3.0 academic average in English and a 2.5 academic average in all other subjects, and who demonstrates financial need.
- Winfield Scholarship
- Established by Miss Martha Elizabeth Winfield, for many years a professor in English at UNCG, the Winfield is awarded to a junior or senior English major with financial need and academic promise.
Ali Schultheis Moore
Director of Undergraduate Studies