Heather Helms, Ph.D.
Selected Recent Papers
If you have Adobe Acrobat, you can download the following papers by clicking on the link.
- Parade, S. H.*, Supple, A. J., & Helms, H. M. (2012). Prospective associations between parenting during childhood and offspring romantic relationship satisfaction. Marriage and Family Review, 48, 150-169.
- Helms, H. M., Supple, A. J., & Proulx, C. M. (2011). Mexican origin couples in the early years of parenthood: Marital well-being in ecological context. Journal of Family Theory and Review, 3, 67-95.
- Helms, H. M., Walls, J.K., Crouter, A.C., & McHale, S.M. (2010). Provider role attitudes, marital satisfaction, role overload, and housework: A dyadic approach. Journal of Family Psychology, 24, 568-577.
- Helms, H. M., Walls, J. K., & Demo, D. H. (2010). Everyday hassles and family stress. In S. J. Price and C. Price (Eds.) Families and change: Coping with stressful events, Fourth Edition. (pp. 357-379). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Proulx, C. M., Buehler, C., & Helms, H. M. (2009). Moderators of the association between marital hostility and change in spouses’ depression. Journal of Family Psychology, 23, 540-550.
- Proulx, C. M., Helms, H. M., Milardo, R. M., & Payne, C. C. (2009). Relational Support from Friends and the Quality of Wives’ Family Relationships: The Role of Husbands’ Interference. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 26, 195-210.
- Proulx, C. M. & Helms, H.M. (2008). Mothers’ and fathers’ perceptions of change and continuity in their relationships with young adult sons and daughters. Journal of Family Issues, 29, 234-261
- Proulx, C. M., Helms, H. M., & Buehler, C. (2007). Marital quality and personal well-being: A meta-analysis. Journal of Marriage and Family, 69, 576-593.
- Helms, H. M., Proulx, C. M., Klute, M. M., McHale, S. M, & Crouter, A. C. (2006). Spouses' gender-typed attributes and their links with marital quality: A pattern analytic approach. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 23, 843-864. (pdf)
- Helms, H. M. & Demo, D. H. (2005). Everyday hassles and family stress. In P. C. McKenry and S. J. Price (Eds.) Families and change: Coping with stressful events, Third Edition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. (pdf)
- Updegraff, K.A., Helms, H. M., McHale, S.M., Crouter, A.C., Thayer, S.M. & Haase, L. (2004). Who's the Boss? Patterns of Perceived Control in Adolescents' Friendships. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 33, 403-420. (pdf)
- Proulx, C., Helms, H., & Payne, C. (2004). Wives' Domain-Specific "Marriage Work" with Friends and Spouses: Links to Marital Quality. Family Relations, 53, 393-404. (pdf)
- Helms, H., Crouter, A., & McHale, S. (2003).Marital Quality and Spouses' Marriage Work with Close Friends and Each Other. Journal of Marriage and Family, 65, 963-977. (pdf)
- Helms-Erikson, H. (2001). Marital Quality Ten Years After the Transition to Parenthood: Implications of the Timing of Parenthood and the Division of Housework. Journal of Marriage and Family, 63, 1099-1110. (pdf).
- Helms, H., Tanner, J., Crouter, A., & McHale, S. (2000). Do Women's Provider-Role Attitudes Moderate the Links Between Work and Family? Journal of Family Psychology, 14, 658-670. (pdf)