The Betsy Umstead Undergraduate Scholarship
- Full time rising junior or senior Kinesiology (formerly Exercise and Sport Science) major.
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA.
- Strong leadership through extracurricular and/or community involvement.
- Preference to students from North Carolina who plan to teach and those with financial need.
The BetsyUmstead Undergraduate Scholarship was established by her friends and colleagues in 1994 to honor her retirement from the faculty of the School of Health and Human Performance.
Dr. Betsy Umstead
A native of Durham , Betsy Umstead graduated from the Woman's College (now UNCG) in 1949 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Education. She completed a masters and a doctoral degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1952, 1967) and a second masters degree from Harvard University . Her teaching and administrative career included Goucher College in Baltimore, MD, Limestone College in Gaffney, SC, Boston University, Radford College in Virginia and UNCG where she served on the faculty for twenty-six years. Betsy also owned and directed Camp Riverlea, a day camp for boys and girls ages five to twelve in Durham , from 1970 until her death in 2001. Despite her commitment to the entire field of physical education, it is her particular interest in undergraduate education for which she is most known.
The following materials must be included with your application:
- UNC Genie Transcript
- written statement of your professional goals
- resume (suggested headings include: professional experience; participation in departmental, school, or university activities and organizations; community; honors and awards)