Dr. Lisa Levenstein
Office: 2145 MHRA
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin - Madison, 2002
M.A., University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1997
A.B., Brown University, 1994
University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2010-
Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2002-2010
- U.S. women's history
- African American history
- Global Feminism
- Welfare and Poverty
- Women's health
- U.S. History Post-World War II
- The U.S. Women's Movement
- HIS 212: U.S. History since 1865
- HIS 328: Women in American History to 1865
- HIS 329: Women in American History Since 1865
- HIS 342: U.S. Women and their Bodies
- HIS 511A: Seminar in Historical Research and Writing - "Women's Activism in the United States Since 1945"
- HIS 524: Twentieth Century U.S. History: "The Politics of the 1970s"
- HIS 530: History of Sexuality: Selected Topics
- HIS 702: Colloquium in American History Since 1865
- HIS 703: Seminar in American History
- HIS 709: Seminar in American History since 1865 - "U.S. History From the 'Bottom Up'"
- HIS 724: Selected Topics in 20th Century American History: "Twentieth Century U.S. Women's and Gender History"
- A Movement Without Marches: African American Women and the Politics of Poverty in Postwar Philadelphia (UNC Press, 2009). Co-winner, Kenneth Jackson Book Award, Urban History Association; Honorable Mention, Frederick Jackson Turner Award, Organization of American Historians.
- "Hard Choices at 1801 Vine: Poor Women's Legal Actions Against Men in Post-World War II Philadelphia," Feminist Studies 28:3 (Spring 2003): 141-163. Received Feminist Studies Award.
- "From Innocent Children to Unwanted Migrants and Unwed Moms: Two Chapters in the Public Discourse on Welfare in the United States, 1960-1961," Journal of Women's History 11 (Winter 2000): 10-33. Received Mary Washburn Willett Award.
Recent Research Awards and Fellowships
- 2012: Anne Firor Scott Mid-Career Fellowship, Southern Association for Women's Historians
- 2012-2013: Caroline D. Bain Scholar-in-Residence Fellowship, Sophia Smith Collection, Smith College
- 2011: Research Grant, Schlesinger Library, Harvard University
- 2011: Wallis Annenberg Research Grant, University of Southern California
- 2010-11: Linda Carlisle Research Award, UNCG Department of Women's and Gender Studies
- 2007-2008: Postdoctoral Fellowship, American Association for University Women -->