Dr. James A. Anderson
Office: MHRA 2135
Office Phone: 336-334-5204
Ph.D., University of Washington, 1999
M.A., University of Washington, 1991
B.A., Harvard, 1987
Associate Professor, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2006-
Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 1999-2006
Instructor, University of Washington, 1998
Instructor, Seattle Pacific University, 1998
Instructor, Tacoma Community College, 1994, 1996
Teaching Assistant, University of Washington, 1993-1994
- HIS 215: The Civilizations of Asia - History, institutions, and culture of India, China, and Japan, from earliest times to about 1700. Limited reference to Southeast Asia, Central Asia, and Korea.
- HIS 216: The Civilizations of Asia - Impact of West on Asia and Asia's response; development of nationalism and Communism. Focus is on India, China, and Japan in nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
- HIS 383: Chinese History to 1800 - Early Chinese Civilization: Imperial Period; first dynasties; Early Modern China
- HIS 384: The Modern Transformation of China: 1800 to Present - Coming of Europeans; decline of imperial institutions to 1870; Western impact and Chinese reforms, 1870-1945; contemporary China.
- HIS 511C: Seminar in Historical Research and Writing - Popular Protest in Chinese History
- HIS 588: East Asian History: Selected Topics - Silks and Spices: Exchanges of Goods and Ideas along China's Frontier
- HIS 588: East Asian History: Selected Topics - The "Radio State": Readings on Trade and Political Expression in Southeast Asian History
- HIS 588: East Asian History: Selected Topics - The Viet Nam Wars