Deciding Which Degree Fits You

M.F.A. in IAR

If you have an undergraduate degree in interior design, architecture or a closely related design field, this option is the one for you.

Historic Preservation

If you concentrate in Historic Preservation within IAR, you could:

  • work for a local planning department or state historic preservation office
  • practice preservation-related design and planning
  • research and write National Register nominations
  • conduct architectural surveys
  • serve as a consultant for a developer who deals with historic neighborhoods and Main Streets
  • work at an historic site as a designer, interpreter or administrator


Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Historic Preservation

The certificate is ideal for professionals who already have a job in the field (and are seeking further training) or people who already have a Master's and want to gain additional skills.

This certificate introduces students to current issues and practices in the field by having them take three core Historic Preservation courses (Historic Preservation: Principles and Practice; History of American Landscapes and Architecture; and Preservation Planning and Law), a for-credit internship, and one elective.