Health Insurance Enrollment and Waiver Instructions for
Degree Seeking (F-1 and J-1) International Students
EFFECTIVE SPRING SEMESTER 2014, HEALTH INSURANCE ENROLLMENT AND WAIVER REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES FOR INTERNATIONAL DEGREE SEEKING STUDENS HAVE CHANGED. PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INFORMATION BELOW:
All UNCG F & J degree seeking international students are required by university requirements to purchase the medical insurance policy selected by the university UNLESS THEY MEET THE MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR A WAIVER. For instance, if you are a government sponsored student (e.g. Saudi, Kuwaitee or Omani student on government scholarship) and you have existing health insurance that you believe meets the minimum qualifications (see below for minimum qualifications), you will need to, on your own, submit an online waiver request directly to the BCBS Student Blue website for review and verification. Upon review, BCBS will inform you whether they are able to verify that you meet requirements for a waiver of the BCBS Student Blue health insurance.
In order to enroll for BCBS Student Blue health insurance, please go to http://shs.uncg.edu/about/policies/insurance and follow the instructions for enrolling in the BCBS Student Blue health insurance plan. Be sure to submit your enrollment by the advertised deadline.
NOTE: International degree seeking students registered for less than 6 credits (e.g. dissertation research credit) are still required to enroll in BCBS health insurance unless they have requested and been granted a waiver (see waiver information and instructions below).
According to BCBS, your existing health insurance policy must include the following minimum requirements:
- Benefit maximum must be no less than $100,000 per accident or illness
- The plan deductible may not exceed $500 per plan year
- Minimum of $50,000 for medical evacuation
- Minimum of $25,000 for repatriation
If you have existing health insurance that meets the above requirements and would like to request a verification of your current policy and waiver of the BCBS Student Blue health insurance, follow the steps below:
1. Visit http://shs.uncg.edu/about/policies/insurance to view the deadline for submitting a request for waiver (However, you will not follow the same steps for verification and waiver as domestic students. Please read on for submiting a request for insurance verification and waiver).
2. Print the Student Blue Waiver Request Form and Instructions. Follow instructions and then complete and sign the form (don’t forget to include all required documents requested on the form, including a copy of your current health insurance membership card/letter and policy, including full details of the benefits and exclusions of your policy).
3. Send all of the forms and documents described in the Waiver Request Form to BCBS. The mailing address, fax number and email address are located at the bottom of the Student Blue Waiver Denial Appeal Form.
4. Now, you must wait to receive a notification by email informing you whether BCBS has approved, denied or assigned you a pending status regarding the waiver. You should receive correspondence by email.
HAVE QUESTIONS OR NEED HELP?
You may contact Shelley Queen, Insurance Coordinator at the UNCG Student Health Center. Her phone number is 336-334-5340 and email address is email@example.com.
Or you may contact Rashad Martin of BCBS at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: “Attention Rashad Martin)