The PAAD Study : Physical Activity and Alzheimer's Disease
Researchers at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro are conducting research to determine if a person's genetic risk for Alzheimer's disease predicts the benefits they experience from exercise.
If you qualify to participate, you will be invited to participate in a FREE 8-month physical activity program.The Principal Researcher is Dr. Jenny Etnier .
Dr. Etnier was also interviewed by Dr. Matt Taylor of Health Talk, Rockingham County Radio, about Physical Activity and Alzheimer's Disease. Listen to interview below :
- Between 50-65 years of age .
- Family history of Alzheimer's disease.
- Currently not regularly physically active (i.e., exercising less than 30 min / day, 3 times / week over the past 3 months).
- Intend to live in the Greensboro area for the next year.
Exclusion criteriaThese will be determined through questionnaires and testing.
- Display symptoms of cognitive impairment or depression.
- Currently taking medications that affect thinking or that make is unsafe to exercise .
- Unable to exercise for health reasons .
- Uncorrected visual impairment.
- Telephone interview to determine if meet inclusion criteria (~20 minutes).
- Baseline testing at UNCG campus to further determine eligibility (2-3hrs).
- Provision of a cheek swab to be used for genetic analysis.
- Pre-test, mid-test, and post-test - to measure fitness and thinking abilities (~2hr each).
- Participation in a free exercise program at UNCG campus 3 days per week for 8-months.
ReimbursementTo be paid as gift cards.
- Participants who complete baseline testing will receive $10.
- Participants who complete pre - test, mid - test, and post - test sessions will receive $10 per session.
- Participants who attend >=75% of exercise sessions over 8 weeks will receive $10.
- Parking at UNCG will be paid for by PAAD.
LocationUniversity of North Carolina at Greensboro, Health and Human Performance Building.
ContactIf you are interested in participating, you may call, email , or submit the form below.
We look forward to hearing from you !
Please include :
- Phone number(s)
- Email if you have one.
- A good time for us to call you.
Email : PAADStudy@gmail.com
Or fill out the following form :