||Professor of Spanish
Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley
- B.A., University of Maryland
- M.A., University of California at Berkeley
- Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley
Awards, Grants, Special Appointments
- Head, Department of Romance Languages, (1986-1994)
- Editor/Associate Editor, International Poetry Review, (1992 - present)
- UNCG Senior Alumni Teaching Excellence Award, (1997-1998)
- Director, UNCG Center for Creative Writing in the Arts, (2006 - present)
Employment at UNCG
- Professor (1987 - present)
- Head, Department of Romance Languages (1986-1994)
- Associate Professor (1984-1986)
- Assistant Professor (1976-1984)
- Instructor (1975-1976)
Courses Taught (Selective List)
- Introductory Spanish
- Intermediate Spanish
- Spanish Conversation
- Advanced Spanish
- Spanish Composition and Advanced Grammar
- Introduction to Spanish Literature
- Modern and Contemporary Literature of Spanish America
- Seminars on Modernismo, Alfonsina Storni, Borges
- Poder, Política y Amor-Seis Voces
- Freshman Seminar ("Violence in Literature")
- Residential College: Creative Writing, Poetry
- Poetry Writing Workshops (for the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies)
- 19th and 20th Century Literature of Spanish America
- Translation theory and practice
- José Asunción Silva: contexto y estructura de su obra. [José Asunción Silva: Context and Structure of His Work]. Bogotá, Colombia: Editorial Tercer Mundo, 1981.
- El arte de Alfonsina Storni. [The Art of Alfonsina Storni] Bogotá, Colombia: Editorial Tercer Mundo, 1986.
- Green Mango Collage, winner of the North Carolina Writers' Network's Persephone Publication Award, Birch Brook Press, June 2000.
- Shafts, winner of the North Carolina Writers' Network's Harperprints/Jarrell Poetry Prize ,Harperprints, October 2002.
- Our Lives Are Rivers, University Press of Florida, 2002.
- Any Second Now, Main Stret Rag Publishing Co., 2006
- Numerous articles, poems and translations in Thesaurus, Romance Quarterly, Hispanófila, Kenyon Review, Literary Review, Antioch Review and many other similar journals.
- Most recent publication: Waiting Room, winner of Red Mountain Review's Chapbook 2008 Chapbook Publication Prize.
- Twelve short plays produced since 2002, including "Deal With This: Trio From the Holocaust Museum," Theatre Orange of the Carrboro/Chapel Hill Arts Center, winner of "Ten by Ten Festival Competition." Included in the anthology 35 in 10, Kent R. Brown, ed., Dramatic Publishing, 2005.
Click to view the IPR webpage and subscribe!