Faculty & Staff
Carmen T. Sotomayor
|1987 PhD Hispanic Literature Michigan State University
1983 MA Hispanic Literature Michigan State University
1980 BA English Literature Universidad de Extremadura, Spain
Phone: (336) 334-4638
Research/ Teaching Interests
Spanish Civil War poetry, narratives and visual arts. Contemporary Spanish literature (particularly women writers). Spanish films.
I strive to make my classes a constructive learning experience by establishing a collaborative and student-centered learning environment. I endow my classes with a multi-cultural focus, incorporating literature, history, films, music, media, etc. as appropriate. I also enjoy working with students in special projects (Honor Thesis, Undergraduate Research Projects, and Master Thesis). I am a believer in study abroad and encourage students to have at least one such experience.
My research interests include the poetry, narratives and visual arts of the Spanish Civil War as well as the narratives of contemporary Spanish writers (Juan Goytisolo, Josefina Aldecoa, Rosa Montero�). I am particularly interested in aspects of "otherness" in relation to race and gender. I also study the films of the Spanish Civil War, the Franco era and the Transition to democracy period.
I provide extensive service to my department, the College of Arts and Sciences, and the University.
Selected Professional Achievements
- In 2010, I was the recepient of the College of Arts and Sciences Teaching Excellence Award
My most recent publications include�:
- a book chapter entitled "Space and the Construction of the Self in the Narratives of Josefina Aldecoa" in Women in the Spanish Novel Today. Essays on the Reflection of Self in the Works of Three Generations.
- Two articles�: "Forbidden Spaces and Losing Heroes: La ni�a de luto and Spanish Cinema of the Sixties�" and "Space and the Construction of Identity in La enredadera by J. Aldecoa"
- "La revaloraci�n del poema �pico�Historia de la Nueva M�xico�por la cr�tica chicana." Taller de Letras, Journal of Universidad Pontificia Cat�lica de Chile. (Accepted)
- I participated in scholarly conferences in the US and abroad.