MAT 647-01 (Linear Algebra and Matrix Theory) Fall 2015
Vector spaces. Linear operators and similarity. The eigenvalue problem and a special decomposition theorem. Normal forms: Smith form for matrices, rational and Jordan forms. Spectral resolution of matrix functions. Special topics.
- Pr. grade of at least C in MAT 310 and 311, or equivalent
The class meets TR at 9:30 - 10:45 am in location Stone 215. The final exam is on Thu 12/3 at 8:00 am.
- Syllabus (PDF)
- Some Hints on Mathematical Style (PDF) by David Goss
- How to Write Mathematics (PDF) by Paul Halmos
- Mathematical Writing (PDF) by Donald E. Knuth, Tracy Larrabee, and Paul M. Roberts
Below are links I provide our undergraduate linear algebra (MAT 310) students. You should review as necessary.
- The Art of Proof by Matthias Beck and Ross Geoghegan is an excellent introduction to writing good proofs. Go to the UNCG Library Catalog to find this book. You can download a free copy by entering your UNCG information.
- Textbook website for our undergraduate linear algebra course has student resources including selected material from the textbook and study guide, Getting Started with Technology, data sets, case studies and applications, and review materials.
- MIT OpenCourseWare 18.06SC Linear Algebra: lecture notes, video lectures, additional exercises.