List of Spring 2013-2014 Graduates
|Matthew Christopher Adams||Yang Lu||Ricky L. Shepherd|
|Jasmine Nicole Anderson||Toni Michelle MacReynolds||Robert Stoesen|
|Cassandra L. Brownell||Daphne Nicole McLaughlin|
|Kristin N. Cudequest||Heather Lee Outlaw|
|Jordan Alexander Eliseo||Thomas Michael Parrish|
|Hollan R. Foltz||Nicholas John Perrone|
|David Christopher Giron||William Andrew Phillips|
|Dallas Scott Hayes||Matthew Reed|
|Kayla D. Jackson||Jovan Roderick Simmons|
|Ian Robert Jenkins||Joseph Avery Splawn|
|Austin Zacharey Lawson||Jason Everett Stalls|
|Zachary James Leach|
- Department of Mathematics & Statistics Annual Report 2012-2013
- Department of Mathematics & Statistics Annual Report 2011-2012
- The Math Help Center previously located in Petty 147 has moved to Curry 210 to a larger space where tutoring offerings have been enhanced.
- Journals associated with the Department
- Helen Barton Lecture Series in Computational Mathematics
- Helen Barton Lecture Series in Mathematical Sciences
- Statistical Consulting Center offers consultation and advice to University researchers.
- Ph.D. program in Computational Mathematics
- SpartanTeX provides a web service that compiles LaTeX source code written in Google Docs and returns the resulting PDF document.
- UNCG Joins the Institute for Mathematics and its Applications as a Participating Institution
- Alumni Stories
News and Announcements
Welcome to the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of North Carolina in Greensboro. The department offers a variety of outstanding undergraduate and graduate programs.
- June 25, 2014: The Department of Math & Statistics hosted another successful UNCG Summer School in Computational Number Theory from May 19-May 23rd, 2014. This year there were 28 participants, including 17 graduate students (5 UNCG and 12 external) and one undergraduate student from UNCG. This project was supported by UNCG, the NSA , and the NSF.
- June 11, 2014: Dr. Haimeng Zhang received a two year (2013-2015) NSF research grant . The work on this grant will focus on the statistical analysis of global-scale processes and phenomena.
- June 10, 2014: The Tenth Mississippi State Conference on Differential Equations and Computational Simulations dedicated to Dr. Ratnasingham Shivaji in celebration of his 60th birthday, his outstanding contributions to Differential Equations, and his service to MSU.
- June 10, 2014: Dr. Ratnasingham Shivaji received a Simons Foundation Grant (Program: Collaboration Grants for Mathematicians) for his Project titled, "Analysis of nonlinear eigenvalue problems and applications." This award will last from 2014 to 2019.
- June 2, 2014: UNCG Math & Statistics Department faculty member, Dr. Thomas Lewis has been selected as a 2014-15 Project NExT Fellow.
- May 9, 2014: The Department of Mathematics and Statistics celebrated our 2013-2014 Graduates in our departmental graduation ceremony. Congratulations, Graduates!
- May 1, 2014: The Department of Mathematics and Statistics hosted the Central Region State Mathematics Contest Finals. Fifty-one students from 19 middle schools and high schools came to UNCG to compete in two divisions.
- April 9, 2014: The Department of Mathematics and Statistics will host the UNCG Summer School in Computational Number Theory from May 19-May 23, 2014. Participants include eleven students from all over the U.S., including two from the United Kingdom.
- March 20,2014: UNCG Mathematics students Hollan Foltz and Austin Lawson have been awarded a Lloyd International Honors College Student Excellence Award, UNCG's highest academic honor for undergraduates.
- March 12, 2014: The Department of Mathematics and Statistics will host a Mathematical Biology REU (May 19-July 25, 2014) funded by NSF. Participants include eight students from all over the U.S., including one from UNCG.
- February 24, 2014: Dr. Philip K. Maini (Centre for Mathematical Biology, University of Oxford) to visit UNCG March 24-26, 2014 for the Helen Barton Lecture Series in Mathematical Sciences.
- February 20, 2014: Math & Stat faculty Talia Fernos and Jan Rychtar were recognized for their accomplishments at the "Celebration of Scholarship" event hosted at Scuppernong Books in downtown Greensboro.
- November 25, 2013: The department hosted a Graduate Tea, attended by faculty and graduate students. Research and advising topics were discussed throughout the event.
- November 8, 2013: The department hosted a Statistics Luncheon, attended by 15 faculty and staff. Ideas for increased collaboration among units for advancing statistics awareness and practice on campus were discussed.
- November 2, 2013: The department hosted the 9th Annual UNCG Regional Mathematics and Statistics Conference, featuring 157 participants from 35 schools.
- October 9, 2013: A dedication ceremony was held for the Jerry and Theresa Vaughan Conference Room in honor of the outstanding contributions of current professor Jerry Vaughan, and his late wife, Professor Theresa Vaughan.
- September 20, 2013: The student chapter of the Association for Women in Mathematics met for the first time. Led by Professor Talia Fernos, the group spent time getting to know one another and sharing stories about how they arrived at various points in their mathematical careers.
- August 28, 2013: The Department will host the 9th Annual UNCG Regional Mathematics and Statistics Conference on Saturday, November 2, 2013. The deadline for registration and abstract submission is October 11, 2013.
- August 21, 2013: The Department welcomed high school mathematics teachers in Guilford County "back to school" with a breakfast buffet at their annual district professional development day, held this year at Southwest Guilford High School. Dr. Tracey Howell and Dr. Carol Seaman, who represented the department at the event, will work with Martha Ray, Secondary Mathematics Curriculum Specialist for Guilford County Schools, during the upcoming school year to provide professional development for the county's high school math teachers.
- August 6, 2013: Professor Talia Fernos has been awarded a three year National Science Foundation research grant by the Division of Mathematical Sciences (Topology and Geometric Analysis Program). The work on this grant will focus on rigidity of isometric Hilbert space actions using the tool of low dimensional cohomology.
- June 10, 2013: The department hosted an end-of-the-year "Thank-You" luncheon for the mathematics department heads of all Guilford County High Schools at Mimi's Restaurant in Greensboro. Invited guests included Martha Ray and Ellen Lowe, Secondary Mathematics Curriculum Specialists of GCS, and Dr. Holt Wilson of the School of Education at UNCG.
- April 29, 2013: Dr. Greg Bell has been awarded funds to allow him to participate in IMA's program, "Scientific and Engineering Applications of Algebraic Topology". Dr. Bell will be at IMA for the Fall 2013 semester participating in this program.
- April 29, 2013: Dr. Jan Rychtar has received an award from the Mathematical Association of America (under the program National Research Experience for Undergraduates, funded by NSA and NSF). The grant title is "Game Theory and Applications".
- April 29, 2013: Dr. Clifford Smyth has been awarded a Bernard-Glickman Dean's Professorship for 2013-14. This professorship recognizes the accomplishments and potential of outstanding junior faculty in the College of Arts and Sciences. Dr. Smyth will receive a one-time salary stipend and research fund.
- April 15, 2013: Dr. Talia Fernos received a grant award from Simons Foundation for Project, "Low Dimensional Cohomology and the Geometry of Hilbert Space" in Program "Collaboration Grants for Mathematicians" that will last from 2013 to 2018 as well as a New Faculty Grant and Summer Excellence Research Award from the University.
- February 26, 2013: Dr. Carol Seaman will serve as a Co-PI on an NC Quest grant recently awarded to UNCG. The project, "Core Math II: Assisting Teachers' Implementation of the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics with Learning Trajectories, Reform-Oriented Pedagogy, and Instructional Support," will empower public school teachers to better implement the state's new math standards in their classrooms.
- February 1, 2013: The UNCG Summer School in Computational Number Theory on Computational Algebraic Number Theory (May 20-24, 2013) is accepting applications until March 15, 2013.
- February 1, 2013: The department is now accepting applications (deadline April 1, 2013) for Departmental Scholarships for math majors and graduate students.
- November 15, 2012: UNCG Research congratulates Dr. Carol Seaman on receiving an award for her recent conference paper, "Sociomathematical norms and mathematical sophistication: a qualitative case study of an inquiry-based mathematics course for preservice elementary teachers."
- September 17, 2012: The department opens search for new Statistics faculty member. See the departmental Employment Opportunities.
- September 12, 2012: Two new faculty searches in Computational Mathematics are underway in the department. See the departmental Employment Opportunities.
- July 17, 2012: On October 5-7, 2012, UNCG will host a major international conference on Advances in Interdisciplinary Statistics and Combinatorics (AISC). The current North Carolina Chapter President for the American Statistical Association, Sat N. Gupta, will serve as conference chair.
- July 17, 2012: Dr. Jan Rychtar received a grant award from Simons Foundation for Project, "Game-theoretical models in biology" in Program "Collaboration Grants for Mathematicians" that will last from 2012 to 2017.
- July 17, 2012: Dr. Clifford Smyth received a grant award from Simons Foundation for Project, "Collaboration in Combinatorics" in Program "Collaboration Grants for Mathematicians" that will last from 2012 to 2017.
- July 17, 2012: On June 18-27, 2012, Ph.D. Student Abraham Abebe and Lecturer Dagny Butler attended the IMA workshop, "Mathematical Modeling in Industry XVI: A Workshop for Graduate Students" at the University of Calgary.
- July 12, 2012: Dr. Jan Rychtar has been appointed to Interim Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research for 2012-13.
- June 25, 2012: Dr. Jan Rychtar receives grant award from the National Science Foundation for The 8th Annual UNCG Regional Mathematics and Statistics Conference.
- June 19, 2012 Departmental student, Anna Tuck, recently completed the Undergraduate Workshop at the Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute (SAMSI).
- May 29, 2012: Mathematics and Statistics Department Head, Dr. Ratnasingham Shivaji, has been appointed the Helen Barton Excellence Professor in Mathematics.
- April 24, 2012: Departmental Professor Paul Duvall wins the Senior Faculty Teaching Excellence Award from the College of Arts and Sciences
- April 24, 2012: One of our undergraduate majors, Ms. Anna Tuck, a Phi Beta Kappa and a Pi Mu Epsilon member, has been awarded the Student Excellence Award, UNCG's highest academic honor for undergraduates. She also received acceptance to a UC Berkeley workshop "Explorations in Statistics Research".
- April 24, 2012: Carol Seaman was chosen to be one of 30 participants in UNCG's inaugural 2012 Leadership Institute. Participation includes attending monthly workshops from February through December 2012, participating in a team project to solve an institutional issue or problem, and meeting with a coaching mentor (Provost David Perrin) several times during the year. The mission of the Leadership Institute is to develop and promote a culture of innovation and leadership consistent with the goals of UNCG's Strategic Plan 2009-2014, UNCG Tomorrow.
- April 24, 2012: Sat Gupta is the new president of the North Carolina Chapter of the American Statistical Association.
- April 24, 2012: The Math Help Center will move to Curry 210 in the summer to start in Fall 2012.
- April 24, 2012: Vicky and Gene Langley are forming the Vicky Langley Math Scholarship, which will be available starting September 2012. Preference for these awards will be given to students whose intention is to teach at the secondary level.
- February 9, 2012: UNCG joins the Institute for Mathematics and its Applications as a participating institution.
- January 9, 2012: Math tutors available at the Math Help Center starting January 17
- January 1, 2012: Sat Gupta elected President of the North Carolina Chapter of the American Statistical Association.
- January 1, 2012: Accepting applications for Undergraduate Research Awards in Mathematics and Statistics
- January 1, 2012: Accepting applications for Departmental Scholarships
- November 5, 2011: More than 160 participants attended the The 7th Annual Regional Undergraduate Mathematics Conference
- August 1, 2011: Ratnasingham Shivaji as new Department Head
Math is useful and beautiful...Visit online at: weusemath.org
- North Carolina State High School Math Contest (May 1, 2014)
- Math-Bio REU at UNCG (May 19-July 25, 2014)
- UNCG Summer School in Computational Number Theory (May 19-23, 2014)
- International Conference on Advances in Interdisciplinary Statistics and Combinatorics (October 10-12, 2014)
- The 10th Annual UNCG Regional Mathematics and Statistics Conference (November 1, 2014)
- AMS Sectional Meeting at UNCG (November 8-9, 2014)
- Graduate application deadlines
- North Carolina State High School Math Contest (April 25, 2013)
- UNCG Summer School in Computational Number Theory (May 20-24, 2013)
- The 9th Annual UNCG Regional Mathematics and Statistics Conference (November 2, 2013)