Mathematics Placement Test
The Math Placement Tests will determine your eligibility to enroll in MAT 120, 190, or 191. Certain entry level courses have no prerequisites; students who wish to enroll in MAT 112, 115, 150, or STA 108 may do so without a placement test.
- MAT 115 (College Algebra) is a prerequisite for MAT 120 (Calculus with Business Applications)
- MAT 150 (Precalculus 1) is a prerequisite for MAT 151 (Precalculus 2), which is a prerequisite for MAT 191 (Calculus I)
- MAT 190 (single semester Precalculus) is a prerequisite for MAT 191 (Calculus I)
Students with a sufficiently strong mathematics background who wish to enroll in MAT 120, 190, or 191 must take the placement test or score 2 or higher on the AP Calculus Exam. The department has a series of placement tests, which students take online on Canvas. Test A covers material from MAT 115 and MAT 150. Test B covers material from MAT 151 and MAT 190. See the Courses page for more details.
Fill out the Request Form to request access to the placement test after reading the information below. (The requesting student must be logged in to iSpartan before accessing the form so that the correct username is collected.)
On Placement Test A, a score of 60% or better allows enrollment in MAT 190. A score of 80% or better allows enrollment in MAT 120 plus access to Placement Test B. A score of 80% or better on Placement Test B allows enrollment in MAT 191.
|60% or better on Test A||MAT 190 (Precalculus)|
|80% or better on Test A||MAT 120 (Calculus with Business Applications)|
|80% or better on Test A and Test B||MAT 191 (Calculus I)|
- Course credit and advanced placement information can be found in the Bulletin. The math placement test does not award any course credit.
- The placement test can only be taken once, and the score is only valid for 1 year.
- The use of graphing calculators is prohibited on the placement tests.
- Students with C or better in MAT 115 can enroll in MAT 151. Special permission may be required until the Bulletin is updated.