Mathematics Placement Test
The Math Placement Tests will determine your eligibility to enroll in MAT 120, 190, or 191. Certain entry level courses have no prerequisites; students who wish to enroll in MAT 112, 115, 150, or STA 108 may do so without a placement test.
- MAT 115 (College Algebra) is a prerequisite for MAT 120 (Business Calculus)
- MAT 150 (Precalculus 1) is a prerequisite for MAT 151 (Precalculus 2), which is a prerequisite for MAT 191 (Calculus I)
- MAT 190 (single semester Precalculus) is a prerequisite for MAT 191 (Calculus I)
Students with a sufficiently strong mathematics background who wish to enroll in MAT 120, 190, or 191 must take the placement test or score 2 or higher on the AP Calculus Exam. The department has a series of placement tests, which students take online on Canvas. Test A covers material from MAT 115 and MAT 150. Test B covers material from MAT 151 and MAT 190. See the Courses page for more details.
On Placement Test A, a score of 60% or better allows enrollment in MAT 190. A score of 80% or better allows enrollment in MAT 120 plus access to Placement Test B. A score of 80% or better on Placement Test B allows enrollment in MAT 191.
|60% or better on Test A||MAT 190 (Precalculus)|
|80% or better on Test A||MAT 120 (Business Calculus)|
|80% or better on Test A and Test B||MAT 191 (Calculus I)|
- Course credit and advanced placement information can be found in the Bulletin. The math placement test does not award any course credit.
- The placement test can only be taken once, and the score is only valid for 1 year.
- Students that have earned a grade of C- or lower on MAT 112, MAT 115, MAT 150, or MAT 151 are ineligible for the math placement test.