Mathematics Placement Test
The Math Placement Tests will determine your eligibility to enroll in MAT 120, 190, or 191. Certain entry level courses have no prerequisites; students who wish to enroll in MAT 112, 115, 150, or STA 108 may do so without a placement test.
- MAT 115 (College Algebra) is a prerequisite for MAT 120 (Calculus with Business Applications)
- MAT 150 (Precalculus 1) is a prerequisite for MAT 151 (Precalculus 2), which is a prerequisite for MAT 191 (Calculus I)
- MAT 190 (single semester Precalculus) is a prerequisite for MAT 191 (Calculus I)
Students with a sufficiently strong mathematics background who wish to enroll in MAT 120, 190, or 191 must take the placement test or score 2 on the AP Calculus Exam. The Mathematics Placement Test is administered online on Canvas. The test is twenty multiple choice questions with a forty-five minute time limit.
Fill out the Request Form to request access to the placement test after reading the information below. (The requesting student must be logged in to iSpartan before accessing the form so that the correct username is collected.)
On Placement Test C, a score of 60% or better allows enrollment in MAT 190 or MAT 120. A score of 80% or better allows enrollment in MAT 191.
|60% or better on Test C||MAT 190 (Precalculus), MAT 120 (Calculus with Business Applications)|
|80% or better on Test C||MAT 191 (Calculus I)|
After you take the placement test, contact the instructor of the section in which you wish to register. The instructor can verify your score and put in an override request that will allow you to register for the course if you have no other blocks on your account.
- Course credit and advanced placement information can be found in the Bulletin. The math placement test does not award any course credit.
- The placement test can only be taken once, and the score is only valid for 1 year.
- The use of calculators is allowed on the placement test.
- Students with C or better in MAT 115 can enroll in MAT 151. Special permission may be required until the Bulletin is updated.