J. Lee Beverly, Ph.D.
Professor and Department Chair
- 1980 Bachelor of Science, Agriculture, The University of Florida
- 1983 Master of Science, Animal Nutrition, Virginia Tech
- 1987 Doctor of Philosophy, Nutrition, The University of Georgia
Professional Experience:- 1987 Postdoctoral Fellow/Research Associate, Physiological Sciences, University of California, Davis
- 1991 Research Assistant Professor, Dept. of Surgery, SUNY Health Science Center, Syracuse
- 1993 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Nutrition (ENRHM), Texas Tech University, Lubbock
- 1996 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Animal Sciences, Division of Nutritional Sciences, and Neuroscience Program, University of Illinois@Urbana-Champaign
- 2002 Associate Professor, Dept. of Animal Sciences, Division of Nutritional Sciences, and Neuroscience Program, University of Illinois@Urbana-Champaign
- 2008 Professor, Dept. of Animal Sciences, Division of Nutritional Sciences, and Neuroscience Program, University of Illinois@Urbana-Champaign
- 2012 Professor and Chair, Dept. of Nutrition, University of North Carolina Greensboro Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois@Urbana-Champaign
- 2001 R. A. Schemmel Lecture in Nutrition, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- 2002 E. L. R. Stokstad Award for Nutrition Research, American Society for Nutritional Sciences
- 2008 Distinguished Lecture Series, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- 2008 Wise Burrough Lecture: Modern Views in Nutrition, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
Memberships:American Diabetes Association, American Physiological Society, American Society for Nutrition, Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine
- Effect of nutrients on central nervous system function
- Hypothalamic mechanisms of glucose homeostasis
- Hypothalamic mechanisms regulating energy balance and feeding behavior
- Ad hoc Manuscript Reviews for: Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, American Journal of Physiology, Animal, Current Medicinal Chemistry, Diabetes, European Journal of Neuroscience, Experimental Biology and Medicine, Journal of Animal Science, Journal of Neurophysiology, Journal of Neuroscience Research, Journal of Nutrition, Nutritional Neuroscience, Physiology and Behavior
- Editorial Board: Experimental Biology and Medicine (2004-2010)
- Review Panel member: American Diabetes Assoc. (2004-08), NIH Special Emphasis Panel: Endocrinology, Reproductive Science, and Nutritional Metabolism (2005-09), NIH Review Panel: Integrative, Functional & Cognitive Neuroscience ZRG1 IFCN-K (2008-11), Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (2008-2012), NIH Integrative Physiology of Obesity and Diabetes (2009-2010)
- Long-Range Planning Committee, Society for Study of Ingestive Behaviors (1997-2000)
- Executive Committees of Neuroscience Program (2001-03, 2006-08), Division of Nutritional Sciences (2002-04, 2006-11), Department of Animal Sciences (2009-2013)
- Faculty Representative to University of Illinois Academic Senate (2007-2011)
Current Research Funding:
- National Institutes of Health (NIDDK), Illinois Agricultural Experiment Station, Industry support
Publications (last 10yrs):- Augspurger, N. R., M. Ellis, .D.N. Hamilton, B.F Wolter, and J.L. Beverly. The effect of sire line on the feeding patterns of grow-finish pigs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 75:103-114, 2002.
- Huntington, C. E., N. F. Shay, L. M. Arseneau, and J.L. Beverly. Zinc status affects neurotransmitter activity in the paraventricular nucleus of rats. J. Nutr. 132:270-275, 2002.
- Cole, A. C., N F. Shay, S. O'Brien, and J.L. Beverly. Zinc deficient rats are insensitive to glucoprivation caused by 2-deoxy-D-glucose. Nutr. Neurosci. . 5(1):59-64, 2002.
- de Vries, M.G., L.M. Arseneau and J.L. Beverly. Changes in extracellular glucose in rat ventromedial hypothalamus to acute and recurrent hypoglycemia determined with in vivo microdialysis. Diabetes 52(11):2767-73, 2003
- de Vries, M.G. and J.L. Beverly. Dissociation of hypothalamic noradrenergic activity and sympatho-adrenal responses to recurrent hypoglycemia. Am. J. Physiol. 286:R910-915, 2004.
- Rubinow, M. J., L. M. Arseneau, J. L Beverly and J. M. Juraska. Effect of the estrous cycle on water maze acquisition depends on the temperature of the water. Behav. Neurosci. 118:863-868, 2004.
- de Vries, M.G., M.A. Lawson and J.L. Beverly. Hypoglycemia-induced noradrenergic activation in the VMH is a result of decreased ambient glucose. Am. J. Physiol 289:R977-R981, 2005.
- Fugo K.R., M.A. Lawson and J.L. Beverly. Ibotenic acid lesions reduce noradrenergic activation in ventromedial hypothalamus during hypoglycemia. Brain Res. 1111(1):105-10, 2006.
- Sparkman NL, J.B. Buchanan, J.R. Heyen, J. Chen, J.L. Beverly, and R.W. Johnson. Interleukin-6 facilitates lipopolysaccharide-induced disruption in working memory and expression of other proinflammatory cytokines in hippocampal neuronal cell layers. J Neurosci. 26(42):10709-16, 2006.
- Thorpe A.J., D.F. Doane, D.C. Sweet, J.L. Beverly, and C.M. Kotz. Orexin A in the rostrolateral hypothalamic area induces feeding by modulating GABAergic transmission. Brain Res. 1125(1):60-6, 2006.
- Buff C.E., N.E. Shay NE, and J.L. Beverly. Noradrenergic activity in the paraventricular nucleus and macronutrient choice during early dark onset by zinc deficient rats. Nutr. Neurosci. 9:189-193, 2006.
- Chan, O, M.A. Lawson, W. Zhu, J.L. Beverly, and R.S. Sherwin. ATP-Sensitive Potassium Channels Regulate the Release of GABA in the Ventromedial Hypothalamus During Hypoglycemia. Diabetes 56(4):1120-6, 2007.
- Barnes, M.B. and J.L. Beverly. Nitric Oxide's Role in Glucose Homeostasis. Am. J. Physiol. 293:R590-1, 2007.
- Doane, D.F., M.A. Lawson, J.R. Meade, C.M. Kotz, and J.L. Beverly. Orexin-induced Feeding Requires NMDA Receptor Activation in the Perifornical Region of the Lateral Hypothalamus. Am. J. Physiol. 293:R1022-6, 2007.
- Vaughn, N., A. Rizzo, D. Doane, J.L. Beverly, E. Gonzalez de Mejia. Intracerebro-ventricular administration of soy protein hydrolysates reduces body weight without affecting food intake in rats. Plant Foods Hum Nutr, 63:41-46, 2008.
- Barnes, M.B, M.A. Lawson, and J.L Beverly. Rate of Fall in Blood Glucose and Recurrent Hypoglycemia Affect Glucose Dynamics and Noradrenergic Activation in the Ventromedial Hypothalamus. Am. J. Physiol. 301:R1815-20, 2011
Presentations (last 10 yrs):
Brain Glucosensing Workshop, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY "Extracellular Glucose Concentrations in the VMH is Lower Following Recurrent Hypoglycemia", 2002
- Inverness Symposium: Obesity, Adipocyte Hormones, Insulin, and Energy Homeostasis, Inverness, CA "Leptin amplifies Hypothalamic Responses to Acute Glucoprivic Challenge", 2002
- Brain Glucosensing Workshop, UMDNJ, Newark, NJ, "Does Leptin Affect the Sensitivity of Glucosensors in the VMH? " 2003
- Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Purdue University, "Nutrition and Brain Function", 2003
- Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Yale University School of Medicine, "Does lactate alter glucose sensing in the VMH?", 2004
- University of Minnesota College of Medicine, Obesity Research Center, "Influence of Obesity on Glucoregulatory Systems in the Hypothalamus", 2005.
- Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, "Is there a glucose threshold in the hypothalamus?", 2005.
- Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Yale University School of Medicine, "Glycogen in the medial hypothalamus: role in glucose homeostasis", 2006
- Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Washington, Seattle and the VA Hospital, "Is there a glucose threshold in the hypothalamus?" , 2006.
- American Diabetes Association Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, Invited Presentation, "Brain Glucose Levels and the Local Control of Hypothalamic Neurotransmitter Release During Hypoglycemia", 2006.
- Brain Glucosensing Workshop, UMDNJ, Newark, NJ, "Does recurrent norepinephrine induce HAAF ?", 2007
- Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University Medical School - Carbondale, "Neurobiology of Glucose Homeostasis", 2007
- Distinguished Lecture Series, Office of Research, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL "Does Obesity Alter Hypothalamic Mechanisms of Glucose Homeostasis?", 2008
- Wise Burrough Lectureship: Modern Views in Nurition, Iowa State University, Ames, IA "Nutritional Neuroscience: The Brain-Diet Connection", 2008
- Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, "The Neurobiology of Nutrient Homeostasis", 2009.
- College of Animal Science and Technology, Gansu Agriculture University, Lanzhou, China, "The Neurobiology of Nutrient Homeostasis", 2009 Endocrinology, Metabolism & Lipid Research, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO, "Hypoglycemia and the Glucose Metabolome in the Hypothalamus", 2009
- School of Biological Sciences, Illinois State University, Normal, IL, "The Neurobiology of Hypoglycemia Unawareness", 2010
-Institute of Metabolic Science and Dept of Medicine, University of Cambridge, "VMH Glycogen Mobilization and Hypoglycemia-Associated Autonomic Failure", 2011
- Biomedical Research Institute, University of Dundee, "VMH Glycogen Mobilization and Hypoglycemia-Associated Autonomic Failure", 2011
- Department of Clinical Medicine, Sapienza University of Rome, "Neurobiology of Hypoglycemia Unawareness", 2011
- Nutrient Control of Metabolism & Cell Signaling, FASEB Summer Conference: Steamboat Springs, CO, "Do Local Reserves Affect Nutrient Sensing in the Brain?", August 9, 2011