Cheryl A. Lovelady, Ph.D., M.P.H., R.D.
Research on the effects of exercise and weight loss on the health of lactating women and the composition of their breast milk has been going on for over 15 years at UNCG, and Dr. Cheryl Lovelady's research group is one of a few in the country investigating this area of study in exclusively breastfeeding women. National attention is focused on the project due to the increasing prevalence of obesity in women and the observation that many women gain excess weight during pregnancy and do not lose it during the postpartum period.
Students in her laboratory are currently studying the effects of an exercise and weight loss program on bone mineral density, body composition and fitness levels in lactating women. This program is called Breastfeeding and Exercise for Healthy Infants and Postpartum Mothers (BE HIP Mom!). It is designed to encourage breastfeeding, improve fat loss and increase bone density in women.
- Ph.D., University of California at Davis, 1991
- M.P.H., R.D., University of California at Berkeley, 1978
- L.D.N. (North Carolina), 1993
- Nutrition and womens health with emphasis on nutrient needs during
- Nutrition and exercise.
- Assessment of energy intake and expenditure.
- Prevention of childhood obesity.
- Promoting postpartum weight loss in overweight women.
- Effects of exercise during lactation on maternal health.
- Family-based interventions to prevent childhood obesity.
- Ostbye, T., Peterson, B. L., Krause, K.M., Swamy, G.K., and Lovelady, C.A. Predictors of postpartum weight change among overweight and obese women: results of the Active Mothers Postpartum (AMP) study. J Women’s Health 2012;21:215-222. PMID: 22092110.
- Colleran, H.L. and C.A. Lovelady. Use of MyPyramid Menu Planner for Moms in a weight loss intervention during lactation. J Acad Nutr Diet 2012;112:553-558.
- Colleran, H.L., Wideman, L., and C.A. Lovelady. Effects of energy restriction and exercise on bone mineral density during lactation. Med Sci Sport Exer 2012;44:1570-1579. DOI: 10.1249/MSS.0b013e318251d43e.
- Thomas, D.T., Wideman, L. and C.A. Lovelady. Effects of calcium and resistance exercise on body composition in overweight premenopausal women. J Am Coll Nutr 2011;29:604-611.
- Durham, H.A., Morey, M.C., Lovelady, C.A., Brouwer, R.J.N., Krause, K.M., and T. Ostbye. Postpartum physical activity among overweight or obese women. J Phy Act Health 2011;8:988-993.
- Thomas, D.T., Wideman, L. and C.A. Lovelady. Effect of a dairy supplement and resistance training on lean mass and insulin-like growth factor in women. Int J Sport Ntr Exer Metab 2011;21:181-188.
- Lovelady, C.A. Balancing exercise and food intake with lactation to promote postpartum weight loss. Proc Nutr Soc 2011;70:181-184.
- Durham, H.A., Lovelady, C.A., Krause, K.M., Brouwer, R.J.N., and T. Ostbye. Comparison of dietary intake of overweight postpartum mothers practicing breastfeeding or formula feeding. J Amer Diet Assn 2011;111:67-74.
- Bastian, L.A., Pathiraja, V.C., Krause, K.M., Brouwer, R.J.N., Swamy, G.K., Lovelady, C.A., and T. Ostbye. Multiparity is associated with high motivation to change diet among overweight and obese postpartum women. Women's Health Issues 2010;20:133-138.
- Ostbye, T., Krause, K.M., Swamy, G.K., and C.A. Lovelady. Effect of breastfeeding on weight retention from one pregnancy to the next: results from the North Carolina WIC program. Prev Med 2010;51:368-72.
- Ostbye, T., Krause, K.M., Lovelady, C.A., Morey, M.C., Bastian, L.A., Peterson, B. L., Swamy, G.K., Brouwer, R.J.N., and C. M. McBride. The Active Mothers Postpartum Trial: A Randomized Controlled Weight Loss Intervention Trial. Am J Prev Med 2009;37:173-180.
- Lovelady, C.A., Bopp, M.J., Colleran, H.L., Mackie, H.K., and L. Wideman. Effect of exercise training on loss of bone mineral density during lactation. Med Sci Sports Exer 2009;41:1902-07.
- Sisk, P.M., Lovelady, C.A., Gruber, K.J., Dillard, R.G., and T.M. O'Shea. Human milk consumption and full enteral feeding among infants < 1250 grams. Pediatrics 2008;121:e1528-e1533.
- Lovelady, C.A., Garner, K.E., Moreno, K.L., and J.P. Williams. The effects of dieting on food and nutrient intake of lactating women. J Am Diet Assoc 2006;106:908-912.
- Pivarnik, J.M., Chambliss, H.O., Clapp, J.F., Dugan, S.A., Hatch, M.C., Lovelady, C.A., Mottola, M.R., and M.A. Williams. Impact of physical activity during pregnancy and postpartum on chronic disease risk. Med Sci Sport Exer 2006;38:989-1006.
- Lovelady, C.A. Brief Critical Review: Is maternal obesity a cause of poor lactation performance? Nutr Rev 2005;63:352-355.
- Lovelady, C.A., Hunter, C.P. and C.M. Geigerman. The effect of exercise on immunological factors in human milk. Pediatrics 2003;111:e148-e152.
- Lovelady, C.A., Garner, K.E., Moreno, K.L., and J.P. Williams. The effect of weight loss in overweight, lactating women on the growth of their infants. N Engl J Med 2000; 342:449-53.