What is a Health Education Specialist?
MissionThe mission of the Department of Public Health Education is to promote health by supporting the learning, decision-making and capacity of individuals, groups, and communities. In collaboration with Piedmont Triad Community organizations, the Department prepares professional health educators and advances public health practice and knowledge.
The Department of Public Health Education is one of five departments in the School of Health and Human Sciences (HHS). PHE offers:
News and Events
- April 2013: The Public Health Education Student Poster Showcase is April 24th from 2-4 PM in the Cone Ballroom in the EUC! For more information, click here
- April 2013: Paul Chelimo, a student in Community Health Education, has been named the Southern Conference Men's Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week. Read more...
- January 2013 : Dr. Sharon Morrison talks about the facts and importance of the flu shot on WFMY.
- December 2012 : Dr. Bob Strack and MPH student Kelly Langston discuss their concerns over state cuts of tobacco prevention programs. Watch the interveiew.
- We are no longer accepting new Health Studies majors. Current majors who will graduate by December 2013 may continue with their program. If you are a Health Studies major and will not graduate by the deadline or are unsure please review your options.
- April 2012 : Brittan Williams Wood, MPH, receives the Charles G. Jordan Memorial Award. Read more ...
- April 2013: Dr. Yorghos Apostolopoulos shares research findings in an article titled, "Transportation workers risk shorter lifespans." Read more...
- October 2012 : Dr. Joseph Telfair and Dr. Terri Shelton co-authored an article titled "Educational Attainment as a Social Determinant of Health." Read more...
- August 6, 2012 : Dr. Mike Perko co-authored a children's book. The book recieved the Nook's Top App of the Week by Barnes & Noble. To find out more, visit Barnes & Noble.com or iTunes