The institution which is now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro was chartered in 1891 to provide higher education for women. Formerly The Woman's College -- one of the three original institutions of The Consolidated University of North Carolina -- it has been highly regarded now for more than a century for both its strong liberal arts tradition and its excellent professional preparation for selected careers. In 1963, it became a comprehensive, coeducational university.
The student body of UNCG -- approximately 68% female and 32% male -- comprises approximately 12,731 men and women, about 79% of whom are undergraduate and 21% graduate students. While 89% are from North Carolina, students come from 46 other states and 65 foreign countries. Minority enrollment is 25%, including 17.2% African-American students. Approximately 55% of UNCG students receive some type of financial aid.
Among the 595 full-time faculty members are nationally known scholars whose research and creative work regularly contribute new knowledge to their fields; 88.6% hold terminal degrees in their disciplines. The faculty is committed to excellence in teaching, research, and public service. Faculty members are easily accessible to students through an advisory system and on an informal basis. The ratio of students to faculty is 14.9 to 1.