University Advancement is responsible for coordinating and promoting activities that advance public understanding of the University and also for obtaining private financial support for the University. University Advancement carries a variety of responsibilities including educating all communities about the University - its strengths and its needs. It also stimulates private giving by creating an awareness of the important role that private gifts play in UNCG's present and future.
Fund-raising is carried out on a coordinated basis by the Advancement Office. This includes solicitations from alumni, community members, business entities, and foundations. Both outright gifts as well as gifts in the form of charitable trusts, annuities, life insurance and bequests are sought.
Advancement Services Office
The Advancement Services Office is responsible for managing biographic, gift, and other information on alumni, friends, corporations, and foundations to support activities of the Division of University Advancement, the UNCG Alumni Association, and various University departments.
UNCG's Office of Alumni Affairs works to foster alumni interest in and loyalty to the University by providing programs and activities which involve alumni with UNCG. The Office serves as the University's central point of contact for alumni and coordinates alumni involvement in admissions programs, homecoming, career networking, and, with the Alumni Association, develops programs and activities that lead current students to involvement as alumni.
Described as "a link, actual and sentimental, with the beginnings" of the University, the Alumni House stands on the site of Guilford Hall, one of the four original buildings on campus. Completed in 1937 at a cost of nearly $160,000, the colonnaded structure follows the architectural style of Homewood, the Charles Carroll mansion on the campus of Johns Hopkins University.
The Alumni House provides rooms for receptions, parties, and meetings for the University community and Association members. It also houses offices of the Division of University Advancement and the offices of the Alumni Association.
Organized in 1893 and incorporated in 1909 to promote education, the association works to advance the interests of UNCG and encourage cooperation of alumni in the work of the University. Annual and Life memberships are available to alumni and friends.
Annual Fund Office
The Annual Fund Office coordinates the solicitation of annual gifts from alumni and friends for the UNCG Annual Fund. Gifts to the UNCG Annual Fund provideongoing support for immediate needs including scholarships, faculty support, programs for academic enrichment and opportunities for students.
The Development Office designs and manages programs leading to gifts from alumni, friends, corporations and foundations to support the University's faculty and students. Program areas include major gifts, planned giving, corporate and foundation giving and annual giving.
University News Service
The University's official public information office provides a centralized news service for the campus. The office writes news and feature stories, establishes relationships with reporters, coordinates press coverage, and manages press conferences.
The University Relations office is the primary communication unit of the University. This unit consists of institutional marketing, special programs, news service and publications. Additional communication outlets include the UNCG Speaker's Bureau and UNCG Video Magazine.
Friends of UNCG
UNCG is not an academic ivory tower apart from the community and world around it. Business groups, individuals, alumni, the Greensboro community, and friends of the University throughout North Carolina give to and receive from UNCG in a realistic, academically healthy exchange of ideas, resources, and programs.
UNCG's continuing education programs, special seminars, University Concert/Lecture Series, and student productions and concerts receive community patronage and enthusiastic support. In addition, business and civic leaders and interested individuals join forces with UNCG to provide internships, scholarships for deserving students, and funds to enrich UNCG's various programs.
Among UNCG's friends and supportive groups are the following:
Angels of the UNCG Theatre
Organized in 1960 by alumni and friends to assist in UNCG productions and to provide financial assistance for talented students in theatre.
Friends of the Library
Organized in 1959 to help present the mission and needs of the library to the people of North Carolina. Special projects include enriching the book collection and the nationally recognized Woman's Collection, bringing speakers to campus, and providing library services to the entire community.
Human Environmental Sciences Foundation
Organized in 1946 as a charitable, nonprofit educational corporation to aid and promote, through financial assistance and other means, all types of education and research, both undergraduate and graduate, in the School of Human Environmental Sciences. Present endowment exceeds $5 million.
The Spartan Club
The Spartan Club was established in 1986. Its mission is to provide all scholarship support for UNCG student athletes through private gifts. No state funds are utilized.
The UNCG Excellence Foundation
Organized in 1966 by 42 business and civic leaders in Greensboro "to aid and promote, by financial assistance and otherwise, excellence in higher education, service, and research at UNCG." Present endowment exceeds $41 million. The fund supports seven Excellence Foundation professorships as well as scholarships, fellowships, academic programs and other University endeavors.
UNCG Musical Arts Guild
Organized in 1972 to promote the School of Music by encouraging attendance at concerts, aiding in the development of scholarships, and assisting with musical programs and projects and the purchase of recordings and specialized equipment.
Weatherspoon Gallery Association
Organized in 1942 and expanded in 1964 with the formation of the Weatherspoon Guild. Objectives are to stimulate interest in art, assist with exhibitions, and offer financial support for the permanent collection of contemporary art, recognized as the most outstanding in the Southeast.