The institution which is now The University of North Carolina
at Greensboro was chartered in 1891 to provide higher education for
women. Formerly The Woman's College—one of the three original
institutions of The Consolidated University of North Carolina—it
has been highly regarded now for 112 years for both its strong liberal
arts tradition and its excellent professional preparation for selected
careers. In 1963, it became a comprehensive, coeducational university.
See History of UNCG
for complete details.
In Fall 2002, the student body of UNCG—approximately 68% female
and 32% male—was comprised of approximately 14,453 men and women,
about 75% of whom were undergraduate and 25% graduate students. While
89% of the undergraduates were from North Carolina, students from
46 other states and 65 foreign countries were represented in the student
body. Undergraduate minority enrollment was 25%, including 20% African
American students. Approximately 55% of UNCG students received some
type of financial aid.
Among the 666 full-time faculty members are nationally known scholars
whose research and creative work regularly contribute new knowledge
to their fields; 83.3% hold terminal degrees in their disciplines.
The ratio of students to faculty was 14.5 to 1 in Fall 2002. See a
listing of Teaching
UNCG faculty members remain committed to excellence in teaching, research,
and public service, and are easily accessible to students through
an advisory system and on an informal basis.