Return to 2008-09 UGB Menu

Peabody Park

Peabody Park is a wooded, grassy, and stream-dissected tract of land at the north end of the UNCG campus. Established as the University’s educational park in 1901 by President McIver and the philanthropist George Foster Peabody, the Park has supported the academic and recreational objectives of the University for one hundred years.

Although the Park’s original 125 acres have been reduced to thirty-four by University expansion, the portion of the Park that remains is a vital refuge for a wide variety of animals and plants, as well as a pleasant retreat from the business of the Campus. The Park’s fields are home to many native and introduced species characteristic of the Carolina Piedmont, while the Park’s woods are a fragment of the native oak-hickory beech-maple forest that once covered this entire region of the United States. The branches of Buffalo Creek that flow through the Park are headwaters of North Carolina’s Cape Fear river system.

More information about the Park can be found by following the Peabody Park link on the Department of Biology Web page at www.uncg.edu/bio.