Admission to UNCG and Transfer Student Guidelines
Well-qualified students with 30 transferable semester hours or more of college credit from regionally accredited institutions are encouraged to transfer to UNCG to continue their studies. Transfer students must also meet UNC Minimum Course Requirements (MCR) for high school preparation including:
- English: 4 units (emphasis on grammar, composition, and literature)
- Math: 4 units including algebra I, geometry, algebra II, and one advanced course beyond algebra II. The fourth unit of math is required for students who graduated from high school in 2006 and beyond. (Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for a list of courses that will satisfy the advanced math requirement.)
- Science: 3 units including one unit of life or biological science, one unit of physical science, and one laboratory course
- Social Science: 2 units (must include one unit of U.S. history and one unit of history, economics, sociology, or civics)
- Foreign Language: 2 units of the same language (required for 2004 high school graduates and beyond)
If you are missing any of these requirements, please see the High School Deficiency Sequence Worksheet.
Freshman Transfer Students
A student who has college credit totaling fewer than 30 transferable semester hours from regionally accredited institutions is designated a “freshman transfer” and must meet requirements under both transfer and freshman admissions programs. Freshman transfer students must also submit an official SAT or ACT score.
Requirements and Procedures
Transfer students must have a 2.30 or better average on a 4.0 scale on all previous work attempted and on all transferable course work from a regionally accredited college or university. Grade point averages are recalculated to determine admissibility. Transfer students must be in good standing and eligible to return to their last attended undergraduate, graduate, or professional institution.
Application Deadlines for Transfers
March 1 for fall semester
October 1 for spring semester
July 15 for fall semester
November 15 for spring semester
Apply online at http://admissions.uncg.edu/apply-applications.php
Applications Must Include
- UNCG application form showing true and complete information.
- Official transcript from the secondary school attended.
- Official SAT or ACT scores, for students presenting fewer than 30 semester hours of transferable credit.
- Official transcripts from each postsecondary institution previously attended (including summer school and extension).
- A list of courses in progress including course number, course name, and semester/quarter hours of credit.
- An application fee, currently $55, not refundable and not applicable toward tuition and other costs.
After receipt of the above credentials, the UNCG Admissions staff reviews the application to determine admissibility. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions reserves the right to request additional information regarding an applicant's activities and responses to questions required by all UNC schools. If additional information cannot be collected prior to the above deadlines, the application may be denied and the student must reapply for future terms. For this reason, we encourage applicants to submit all required materials well in advance of the posted deadline.
Please note that admission to the University does not automatically guarantee admission to any specific degree program.
Transfer Credit Limits and UNCG Graduation Requirements
The sum total of transfer credit from two-year college(s), extension, or correspondence courses that may be applied toward an undergraduate degree may not exceed 64 semester hours. See complete Transfer Credit Policies.
Course credit that is adjusted to meet the 64 semester hour credit limit policy will still meet General Education Core (GEC) and departmental major requirements.
Students beginning their college careers at institutions other than UNCG who anticipate transferring to UNCG are advised to maintain close contact with the school or department of their anticipated major. Accurate and up-to-date information about admission requirements, deadlines, and required courses can facilitate the transfer process.
Many courses completed elsewhere transfer into UNCG as specific UNCG courses. Certain courses completed at other institutions, however, do not have specific UNCG course equivalencies and transfer into UNCG as electives. These courses are denoted with a “000” course number. Such electives, earned at institutions other than North Carolina Community Colleges, may be petitioned to satisfy General Education Core (GEC) requirements. Academic departments may or may not approve adjusting elective credit to specific UNCG course credit based on their own evaluation.
UNCG Bachelor's Degree Requirements
A bachelor's degree from UNCG is awarded to a student who has met the following requirements:
- Successful completion of a minimum of 122 semester hours, distributed as follows:
- General Education Core (GEC): 36–37 s.h. minimum
- General Education marker courses
- Additional College/School requirements
- Major subject and related areas: as required in program
- Electives: as required by program
- A grade point average on the hours attempted of not less than 2.0
- At least 36 semester hours of courses at the 300 course level or above
- At least 31 hours in residence at UNCG, 12 of which must be in the major field and 9 of which must be in the minor field if a minor is sought.