Auto Liability / Physical Damage Insurance - Insurance & Claims Information, Certificates & Forms
All University owned vehicles and "Hired and Non Owned" vehicles are insured through a State owned insurance policy with Travelers Insurance. All policies, claims information, certificates and forms can be found here.
As all vehicles are excluded from the State Tort Claims Act and, therefore, are required to be included in this coverage, it may be helpful to attach the follow definition of an automobile/vehicle as is clarified by the insurance policy.
1. A land motor vehicle, "trailer" or semitrailer designed to travel on public roads; or
2. Any other land vehicle that is subject to a compulsory or financial responsibility law or other motor vehicle insurance law where it is licnsed or principally garaged.
This coverage is also extended to "mobile equipment" which includes any of the following types of land vehicles, including any attached machinery or equipment:
1. Bulldozers, farm machinery, forklifts and other vehicles designed for use principally off public roads;
2. Vehicles maintained for use solely on or next to premises you own or rent;
3. Vehicles that travel on crawler treads;
4. Vehicles, whether self-propelled or not, maintained primarily to provide mobility to permanently mounted:
a. Power cranes, shovels, loaders, diggers or drills; or
b. Road construction or resurfacing equipment such as graders, scrapers or rollers;
5. Vehicles not described in Paragraph 1, 2, 3 or 4 above that are not self-propelled and are maintained primarily to provide mobility to permanently attached equipment of the following types:
a. Air compressors, pumps and generators, includings praying, welding, building cleaning, geophysical exploration, lighting and well-servicing equipment; or
b. Cherry pickers and similar devises used to raise or lower workers; or
6. Vehicles not described in Paragraph 1, 2, 3 or 4 above maintained primarily for purposes other than the transportation of persons or cargo.
However, self-propelled vehicles with the following types of permanently attached equipment are not "mobile equipment" but will be considered "autos":
a. Equipment designed primarily for:
(1) Snow removal;
(2) Road maintenance, but not construction or resurfacing; or
(3) Street cleaning;
b. Cherry pickers and similar devices mounted on automobile or truck chassis or used to raise or lower workers: and
c. Air compressors, pumps and generators, including spraying, welding, building cleaning, geophysical exploration, lighting or well-servicing equipment.
In summary, if it is self-propelled, in any direction, or used primarily attached to a self-propelled vehicle, then it needs to be reported.