Joint BSW Field Program
Introduction to Program
BSW students are required to complete a two-semester internship in an assigned social work agency. Since 1972, UNCG and NCA&TSU have collaborated through the Joint BSW Field Instruction Program which is jointly administered by the Directors of Field Instruction on both campuses. Students from both UNCG and NCA&TSU attend field seminars taught by field faculty from both campuses and may be placed in internship settings together.
The number of students placed for field instruction is determined by the availability of these resources. At times there may not be an approved site for student placement and there may be delay in meeting that part of the graduation requirements. For additional information about the field instruction program, see Undergraduate Bulletin (see Admission to Field Instruction on this page) and the BSW Field Instruction Manual for 2012-2013.
Students enrolled in field instruction courses are individually responsible for their own transportation to and from community agencies. All students must have liability insurance. Insurance information is available in the departmental office. Students are responsible for reading and abiding by the policies and procedures outlined in the BSW Field Instruction Manual for 2012-2013
AdmissionStudents must apply for admission to the field instruction program by the deadline established each year. Requirements for Admission to Field Instruction
- Prior admission to the Social Work Major
- Completion of the following courses or their equivalent:
- BIO 105
- HDF 212
- PSC 100
- PSY 121
- STA 108
- SOC 101
- BIO 105
- Department Cultural Diversity Requirement or 2 semesters of a foreign language.
- Completion of 84 hours with a 2.5 grade point average.
- Satisfactory completion of all early field experience requirements (SWK215 and 310)
- Satisfactory completion of SWK 215, 310, 311, 315, 325, 351 with a minimum grade of C. No social work course may be taken more than twice.
- An application process and approval of the Director of Field Instruction.
Application to the Field Instruction Program
BSW students apply to the Field Instruction Program online using the : Internship Placement Tracking site for Field Instruction.
The following information is needed to log into the Internship Placement Tracking site for Field Instruction website :
( Students receive this information by email well before applications are due)
- The site's Organizational ID.
- An individual username.
- A password from the Field Office.
- BSW Field Instruction Manual for 2012-2013 (Word)
- BSW Field Application (PDF)
- Tentative Placement Form (Word)
- BSW Field Placement Standard Instructional Agreement (Word))
- Faculty Liaison Evaluation - to be completed by Field Instructor (Word)
- Practicum Evaluation - to be completed by student (Word)
- Field Learning Contract(Word)
- Evaluation of Field Internship Performance(Word)
- Agency Request for Undergraduate Field Placement (BSW) (New Agencies) (Word)
- Agency Request for BSW Field Placement (Continuing Agencies) (Word)