Selected Policies and Procedures
This page provides links to relevant State and University Policy Manuals and to selected UNCG policies and procedures. Forms are provided in some cases. If there is any question about these policies or their interpretation, please contact the General Counsel's office at 334-3067.
- UNC Policy Manual: The UNC Policy Manual is published by The University of North Carolina General Administration and is a valuable reference tool for University administrators. This manual contains presidential regulations and guidelines, and policies promulgated by the Board of Governors, including The Code of the Board of Governors.
- Office of State Human Resources Policy Manual: This manual contains the policies, regulations, and procedures of the Office of State Personnel which apply to employees of state agencies, universities, boards and commissions that are covered by the provisions of the State Personnel Act.
UNCG Policy Manuals:
- University Policy Manual: The University Policy Manual was created in 1988 to serve as a primary reference document for University staff and faculty. Sections include: academic/academic support; administration; personnel; research; student service; and an appendix.
- Policy Manual for Staff Employees: This manual contains the personnel policies and procedures which apply to UNCG employees that are covered by the provisions of the State Personnel Act. it also contains all policies and procedures related to the benefits offered to all UNCG employees (EPA and SPA).
- Academic Affairs Policies & Procedures: This collection of policies includes the academic policies at UNCG as well as the Faculty Handbook and personnel policies for faculty and academic staff (EPA).
- Policies & Procedures Manual (Office of Business Affairs): This manual contains policies for the University functions of Auxiliary Services, Business Services, Facilities, Finance, Foundations, Human Resources, Public Safety & Police. The Finance policies include Contracts and Grants, Financial Planning & Budgets, Financial Services, Internal Audit, Purchasing, Risk Management, and Travel.
- Policies for Students: The formal policies contained in this publication do not exhaust the formal rules and policies for students, but do represent those most pertinent to the daily life of students at UNCG.
- Safety & Health Policy & Procedures Manual: This policy manual was developed by The Office of Safety to accomplish the goal of a safe and healthful environment for the UNCG community. These policies are reviewed by the Safety and Health Committees and each member of the University community is required to abide by these established safety and health policies and procedures.
Selected UNCG Policies and Procedures:-
Please note: some items require the Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe web site.
- Alcoholic Beverages Policy and Procedures :- This policy covers the service of alcoholic beverages on campus other than in dormitories. An approval form to be submitted to General Counsel's Office is also provided.
- Board of Governors' Policy Concerning Improper Relationships Between Students and Employees :- This policy makes it a disciplinary offense for an employee of the University to supervise or teach students with whom he or she has an amorous relationship or to whom he or she is related by blood or marriage. The Policy also makes it an offense for an employee to have sex with any student under the age of 18 (unless the two are married). Reference should also be made to UNCG's Policy on Undue Favoritism.
- Board of Trustees Code :- The Code of the UNCG Board of Trustees covers the composition, powers, duties, and conduct of business by the Board.
- Contract Review and Approval :- This policy defines what are and are not "University contracts," sets out the required review process (including review by the General Counsel), and specifies who is authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the University.
- Extraordinary Admissions Protocol :- The protocol sets up a multidisciplinary committee to review cases referred by a Director of Admissions. The committee's charge is to determine whether the applicant may pose a danger to the campus community, and to make recommendations to the Director of Admissions.
- Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Regulations [34 C.F.R. 668.48(c)]:- The full text of the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act regulations published by the U.S. Department of Education is provided. UNCG's Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Gender Equity Survey prepared under 34 C.F.R. 668.48(c) is available during normal business hours at the Inter Collegiate Athletics Office, located in the HHP Building. The survey contains information about athletic participation rates, and financial support data for men's and women's teams.
- Facilities Use Policy:- The Facilities Use Policy governs requests for use of University buildings or property by affiliated and unaffiliated groups. The Policy also discusses outdoor assemblies, solicitation, and distribution of pamphlets on University premises.
- Computer Use Policy for employees and students :- These policies govern access to and use of University computing services.
- Patents and Inventions Policy :- This policy specifies the procedures to be followed for disclosing patentable inventions and for determining the University's interest in those inventions. The part of this Policy that deals with copyrights has been superseded by the UNCG Copyright Ownership and Use Policy
- Policy on Conflicts of Interest and Commitment Affecting University Employment at UNCG:- This policy defines conflicts of interest and commitment and establishes procedures for reporting both potential and actual conflicts which may adversely affect the interests of UNCG and/or federal granting agencies such as NSF or NIH. Links are provided to the annual disclosure form and its appendixes which may be downloaded and printed out.
- Policy on Experiential Learning :- Experiential learning agreements must contain certain provisions in order to assure that UNCG meets its legal obligations to students. Model agreements are also included.
- Procedures for UNCG Hearings in Nonreappointment Cases :- These are the procedures adopted by the Faculty Due Process Committee for hearing faculty appeals of nonreappointment decisions.
- Policy on Undue Favoritism :- Undue favoritism in the conferral of any University related benefit is a prohibited conflict of interest. Consensual sexual relationships between supervisors and subordinates, and between faculty and students, are discussed.
- Student Access to Educational Records :- Rights of access to and confidentiality of student records under the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("Buckley Act" ) are detailed.
- Sexual Harassment Policy and Procedures :- Revised in February 1995. Defines quid pro quo and environmental sexual harassment. Details complaint and investigation procedures. Includes report form. Also see the U.S. Dept. of Education, Office of Civil Rights (OCR) Sexual Harassment Guidance: Harassment of Students by School Employees, Other Students, or Third Parties, issued on 13 March 1997. Additional resources on Sexual Harassment may be accessed through the University Libraries.
- Student Disciplinary Code :- The Student Disciplinary Code describes offenses, rights of the accused and victim(s), hearing procedures, sanctions, and appeal rights.