Students back on campus, a slight cooling of the days and preparations kicking into high gear it must be time for Homecoming.
A young girl twirls a Spartan pom-pom at last year's Homecoming.
Homecoming 2011 kicks off on Monday with a cake decorating contest and music in Taylor Garden in honor of Founders Day. From there, the week of festivities continues with a Wednesday-night comedy show, the dedication of the new School of Education building on Thursday, several athletic games on Friday and finally leading to the big all-day party on Saturday.
Make plans to come out to the Children's Festival and Spartan Village on Kaplan Commons starting at 11 a.m. on Saturday. Kids can play on inflatables while parents enjoy live bands, followed by a parade and the coronation of the new Homecoming king and queen. Then cheer on the men's soccer team as they face off against Gardner-Webb.
Throughout the day, food and drinks will be available for purchase. All events are free and open to the public so bring a big group to enjoy the day.
Homecoming promises to be jam-packed. Check out the list below for a sampling of events going on next week:
Monday, Sept. 19
- Founders Day Celebration, including UNCG Iced student cake decorating contest, Founders Day ceremony and cake cutting, Taylor Garden, EUC, noon
Wednesday, Sept. 21
- Comedy Show, Cone Ballroom, EUC, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 22
- Community dedication, New School of Education building, corner of Spring Garden and Stirling streets, 4:30 p.m.
- 2011 Run MS 5K, presented by the UNCG Alumni Association, UNCG Soccer Stadium, 6:30 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 23
- Family Weekend begins, 4:30 p.m.
- Rugby Alumni Weekend, 34th Annual Past vs. Present Game, Campus Rec Field, 6:30 p.m.
- Women's Volleyball, UNCG vs. Elon, Fleming Gym, free admission, 6 p.m.
- Women's Soccer, UNCG vs. Chattanooga, UNCG Soccer Stadium, free admission, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 24
- Spartan Village at Kaplan Commons - Bands, Food, Beer Garden, Games and more, 11 a.m.-6:45 p.m.
- Children's Festival, Spartan Village at Kaplan Commons, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Liberty Mutual's Bike Rodeo, where kids learn the rules of the road. They also have a free drawing for two children's bikes and one woman's bike, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- All Greek Reunion 30th Anniversary Celebration, Spartan Village at Kaplan Commons, 1-7 p.m.
- Homecoming Parade, passes by Spartan Village around 3:30 p.m.
- Homecoming King and Queen Coronation, 6:30 p.m.
- Homecoming Men's Soccer Game, UNCG vs. Gardner-Webb, UNCG Soccer Stadium, free admission, 7 p.m.
- 7th Annual All Black (Attire) Party, Lotus Lounge, 10 p.m.-2 a.m.
Sunday, Sept. 25
- Women's Soccer, UNCG vs. Samford, UNCG Soccer Stadium, free admission, 2 p.m.
To see the full list, visit homecoming.uncg.edu and click see it all in the top menu bar.