Five ways to connect and build a career network
Over the past 10 years, we have seen a dramatic shift within universities in how connections are made and maintained. And with that we have seen the growth of our alumni base and new and exciting ways to reach out and connect with fellow UNCG alumni, students and staff. Here are five ways to build your network:
- LinkedIn Groups: LinkedIn is not your ordinary social scene; It is a network that is built around professional connections. If you haven't joined this professional network, now is the time to build a strong profile and jump in there with two feet. UNCG has a number of groups that have formed at the grassroots level, led by both students and alumni, to continue to enhance the university's image and provide a place for students and alumni to mingle and share news and information. Within these groups you can get a sense of what's going on in a wide array of industries, job functions and geographic locations. The Career Services Center continues to build its own strong network on LinkedIn. If you're new to LinkedIn, our group might be a great place to start.
- Spartan Village: Similar to LinkedIn, but solely for UNCG students and alumni, this Alumni Relations-maintained network will provide a connection to your fellow UNCG alumni, friends, faculty and staff; a connection to university events; and an opportunity to be a part of your alma mater. Just another way to connect while maintaining access to our services.
- UNCG Alumni Relations: We have a fantastic Alumni Relations team that manages the connection between our alumni and the university. Throughout the year, you will find networking events around the country, newsletters full of information and ways that you can help your university grow. Have you connected back? Participate in your Alumni Association!
- The Career Services Center's Facebook Page: Yes, it is true; our office has gotten onto the bandwagon and has created our own Facebook page. Why not join it, let us know how you are doing, and keep in the loop of opportunities for you to connect back with the career center?
- Create a new group: Our career center values the creativity of our members and fosters growth at the grassroots level. Have an idea or want to build a new career focused networking group? Contact me at email@example.com
Dr. Patrick Madsen is the director of the UNCG Career Services Center. Learn more at http://csc.dept.uncg.edu/.