In addition to the application materials required by The Graduate School, applicants must submit a statement of goals describing how their previous study and experience have prepared them for the certificate program and specifically how their academic/professional goals may be advanced through study in WGS. No test scores (GRE, MAT) are required; however, if applying for the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate along with another degree program, please refer to the degree granting department for admission test requirements. Candidates may present a baccalaureate degree in any field.
Students enrolled in WGS's Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Women's and Gender Studies are not eligible for financial aid unless they are simultaneously enrolled in a UNCG MA, PhD, or other graduate program. This change takes place July 1, 2011 and reflects changes to federal guidelines for student financial aid.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact the WGS Director of Graduate Studies.
All students applying for the certificate must complete the UNCG Graduate School online application and pay an application fee whether entering for the first time or currently enrolled in another graduate program. Certificate applications may be submitted at any time for acceptance in the Fall or Spring semesters. We do not enroll Certificate Students in the Summer.
YOU MAY APPLY ONLINE HERE >>
Find out more information about the Graduate School.
The online application requires:
- Basic information about the student
- A non-refundable $60 application fee
- Transcripts of your academic record at all universities and colleges
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose in the Supplemental A box of no more than 500 words discussing your goals and areas of interest, how your previous study and experience have led you to these goals, and how the program will further your personal and professional goals.
If you are pursuing only the Certificate, you will pay a graduation fee upon completion.
If you are currently enrolled in a graduate degree program at UNCG:
- your transcripts and recommendations for that program will apply, however you will need to send a request in an email to the Grad School person who processes your application (you will find that on AY). It does not automatically happen.
- WGS would like one additional recommendation that addresses our program.
You will need to submit a purpose statement and then pay an additional $60 application fee.
- If you complete Certificate requirements before the degree, we can award the Certificate without requiring payment of a graduation fee. You will only pay a graduation fee when you complete your degree program.