Dr. Lixin Fu
Office: Petty 162
Phone: (336) 402-9601
Fax: (336) 334-5949
Division of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science, UNCG
P. O. Box 26170
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
A very good desktop calculator website for arithmetic, scientific, statistics, financial, geometry, and unit conversions and operations. It can be used for daily work or quick kids' homework check:
5 Ultra Fun Calculators
Dr. Fu's main research areas are in data warehousing, data cube, data mining,
databases, and algorithms. More recently, he works on delivery networks, social networks, and recommendation algorithms. In particular, he is interested in the structure and dynamic features of social networks and in community clustering.
08/2007 – Current, Associate Professor, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, North Carolina
08/2001— 08/2007, Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, North Carolina
05/2000 – 08/2000, Summer Intern, IBM (Informix), Menlo Park, California
01/1998 – 05/2000, Research Assistant, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
10/1996 – 12/1997, Research Assistant, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia
05/1991 – 07/1996, Software Engineer/Project Manager,
Jinhang Research Institute of Computer Technologies, Tianjin, China
Ph.D., Computer and Information Sciences, University of Florida, May 2001
M. S., Electrical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, December 1997
B. S., Mathematics, Wuhan University, China, July 1988
UNCG Scholars’ Travel Fund, "Prediction of Review Sentiment and Detection of Fake Reviews in Social Media,"
PI, with Steve Tate, “Collaborative Research: Innovative Active Learning Using Tablets,”
NSF, Division of Undergraduate Education S-STEM TUES- Type 2 Project.
Faculty First Award, 2016 $5,000
ITF travel grant, 2015 $700
Collaboration Visit to Dalian University of Technology, 2013 $1,500
Co-PI, NSF ITR/EIA: Adapting Massively Multi-User Technologies for Collaborative Online Interactive Science Laboratories,
2003-2006, $1,005, 998
Dean’s Initiative Funding, 2002, $1,700
Regular faculty grant, 2003, $5,000
UNCG Scholars’ Travel Fund, 2003, $350
Summer Excellence, 2004 $4,000
CCI Faculty Fellowship, 2007 $1,500
Research Assignment, 2010
Kohler Fund, 2012 $1,000
- Lixin Fu, Joachim Hammer, CubiST: A New Algorithm for Improving the Performance of Ad-hoc OLAP Queries, ACM Third International Workshop on Data Warehousing and OLAP (DOLAP’00), Washington, D.C, USA, November, 2000, pages 72-79.
- Joachim Hammer, Lixin Fu, Improving the Performance of OLAP Queries Using Families of Statistics Trees, 3rd International Conference on Data Warehousing and Knowledge Discovery (DaWaK ’01), September, 2001, Munich, Germany, pages 374-283
- Lixin Fu, Sanguthevar Rajasekaran, Novel Algorithms for Computing Medians and Other Quantiles of Disk-Resident Data, IEEE International Data Engineering and Application Symposium (IDEAS ’01), Grenoble, France, 2001, pages 145-154.
- Lixin Fu, “Range Query Optimization for Multidimensional Web Data,” The 2002 International Conference on Information and Knowledge Engineering (IKE’02), June, 2002, Monte Carlo Resort, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- Lixin Fu, “Querying and Clustering Very Large Data Sets Using Dynamic Bucketing Approach,”The Third International Conference on Web-Age Information Management (WAIM’02), August 2002, Beijing, China, pages 279-290.
- Lixin Fu. Classification for Free. International Conference on Internet Computing 2003 (IC'03) June 23 - 26, 2003, Monte Carlo Resort, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, 2003, pages 90-98.
- Joachim Hammer, Lixin Fu, CubiST++ –Evaluating Ad-Hoc CUBE Queries Using Statistics Trees, Distributed and Parallel Databases, An International Journal. July 28, 2003. 17:1, 221-254.
- Lixin Fu, Sanguthevar Rajasekaran, Evaluating Holistic Aggregators Efficiently for Very Large Datasets, The VLDB Journal, Volume 13, Number 2 (May 2004), pp. 148-161.
- Lixin Fu, Computation of Dense Data Cubes Using Packaged Arrays, International Conference on Internet Computing 2004 (IC'04). Las Vegas, NV, 2004, pp. 116-120.
- Lixin Fu, Efficient Evaluation of Sparse Data Cubes, Advances in Web-Age Information Management: 5th International Conference (WAIM'04), Dalian, China, July 15-17, 2004: Springer-Verlag GmbH, 2004, pp. 336-345.
- Lixin Fu, Classification on Top of Data Cube, Web Mining: Applications and Techniques, editor: Anthony Scime. 189-206, 2005
- Lixin Fu: Construction of Decision Trees Using Data Cube. Seventh International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, ICEIS (2) 2005: 119-126
- Lixin Fu., Novel Efficient Classifiers Based on Data Cube. International Journal of Data Warehousing and Mining, 2005. 1(3): p. 15-27.
- Wen-Chen Hu, Jyh-Haw Yeh, Lixin Fu, Hung-Jen Yang, Handheld Computing and Programming for Mobile Commerce, International Journal of Web Information Systems, Volume 2, Issue3-4, 2006, p164-175.
- Lixin Fu. (2006) Computing Dense Cubes Embedded in Sparse Data. Research and Trends in Data Mining Technologies and Applications: Advances in Data Warehousing and Mining, 2006, Idea Group Publishing, Chapter 2, p29-52.
- Lixin Fu, Wen-Chen Hu. Online Analytical Processing and Data Cube Technologies. Handbook of Research on Public Information Technology, 2007, p627-635.
- Lixin Fu, Hamid Nemati, and Fred Sadri, (2007). Privacy-Preserving Data Mining:Bridging the Gap Between Research and Practice - A Research Agenda. Editor-in-Chief: Hamid R. Nemati, International Journal of Information Security and Privacy Volume 1, Issue 1, 2007, p47-64.
- Wen-Chen Hu, Lixin Fu, Hung-Jen Yang, and Sheng-Chien Lee (2007), Handheld computing and Palm OS programming for mobile commerce, The Encyclopedia of Internet Technologies and Applications, 2007.
- Wen-Chen Hu, Sampath Bemgal, Lixin Fu, and Hung-Jen Yang (2007), A Focused Mobile Web Search Engine Using a Topic-Specific Knowledge Base (MICS ’07), April 2007, Alerus Center Grand Forks, North Dakata.
- Bruce Kirchoff, David Remington, Lixin Fu, Fereidoon Sadri, A New Type of Image-Based Key, The 2008 International Conference on BioMedical Engineering and Bioinformatics (BMEI 2008), May 27-30, 2008, Sanya, China. Page 825-829.
- Lixin Fu, Hamid Nemati, and Fred Sadri, (2009). Privacy-Preserving Data Mining and the Need for Confluence of Research and Practice. Chapter IV. Editor: Hamid R. Nemati, Techniques and Applications for Advanced Information Privacy and Security: Emerging Organizational, Ethical, and Human Issues. ISBN: 978-1-60566-210-7, 414 pp, March 2009.
- Abhinav Chawade and Lixin Fu, J. Phillip Bowen, Processing and Storing Chemical Structures Using Graphical Tools and Databases, International Journal of Computer Science and Intelligent Computing (IJCSIC), Volume 1, No. 1, Pages 47-51, September, 2010.
- Lixin Fu, Chadana Gondi, Cloud Computing Hosting, 2010 3rd IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology (ICCSIT 2010), Chengdu, China, July 9-11, 2010, Editors Yi Hang, Parvinder S. Sandhu, Volume 3, pages 194-198.
- Lixin Fu, Spandana Nimmagadda, Classification Algorithm for Filtering E-mail Spams, International Conference on Data Engineering and Internet Technology (DEIT 2011). March 2011, Bali Dynasty Resort, Bali, Indonesia. Pages 149-154.
- Lixin Fu, “CLUSTRE - Clustering on Statistics Trees,” The 14th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence ICAI'12: July 16-19, 2012, USA. Pages 576-582.
- Lixin Fu, Shruthi Chandra, Optimized Backtracking for Subgraph Isomorphism, International Journal of Database Management Systems (IJDMS) ISSN: 0975-5985, Volume 4 Number 6, December 2012. Pages 1-10.
- Lixin Fu and Surya Prakash R Kommireddy, Labeled Subgraph Matching Using Degree Filtering, The 9th International Conference on Data Mining (DMIN’13), July 22-25, 2013, The New Tropicana Hotel, Las Vegas, USA. Pages 252-257.
- Lixin Fu, Jing Deng, Graph Calculus: Scalable Shortest Path Analytics for Large Social Graphs through Core Net. The 2013 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence (WI’13), Nov. 17-20, 2013 Atlanta, USA. Pages 417-424.
- Lixin Fu, Jing Deng, "ROBE: Knitting a Tight Hub for Shortest-Path Discovery in Large Social Graphs," 17th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS 2015), Barcelona, Spain, April, 2015. Accepted as a short list (of 5) best papers. Pages 97-107.
- Jing Deng, Lixin Fu, “ZLOC: Detection of Zombie Users in Online Social Networks Using Location Information,” The Third International Conference on Building and Exploring Web Based Environments (WEB 2015), Rome, Italy, May, 2015. Best paper award. Pages 24-28.
- Lixin Fu, Juraj Jarabek, “Optimizations for Multiple Collective Sources in Delivery Systems,” 2016 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence (WI'16), Omaha, Nebraska, USA, October, 2016. Pages 461-464.
- Lixin Fu, Juraj Jarabek, “A Recommendation System Using OLAP Approach,” 2016 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence (WI'16),Omaha, Nebraska, USA, October, 2016. Pages: 622 – 625.
- Lixin Fu, “Shortest Path Deliveries Using Density-Based Clustering,” 2017 IEEE Twelfth International Conference on Digital Information Management (ICDIM 2017),Fukuoka, Japan, September 2017, Page(s): 21 – 26.
- Lixin Fu, A Comprehensive Framework for Detecting Sybils and Spammers on Social Networks. In Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS 2018) - Volume 1, pages 229-236 ISBN: 978-989-758-298-1. March 2018; Funchal, Madeira, Portugal.
- Karumanchi, A., Fu, L., Deng, J. (2018). “Prediction of Reviews Sentiment and Detection of Fake Reviews in Social Media” (pp. 181-186). Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Information and Knowledge Engineering IKE'18.