Advising and Registration FAQs

  • The questions below are ones that many students have during advising and registration. Students can get answers to many other questions at the Students First website, including Live Chat with an advisor.

What is general education and why do I have to complete these courses?
The General Education program at UNCG helps students to gain a foundation of knowledge to combine with their specialized, major curriculum. It prepares students to become lifelong learners, and ethical, independent decision makers. There are 8 different categories of coursework, some of which may be taken in your major.

How can I track my progress at UNCG?
UNCG uses two systems to help students track their progress through the major, depending on the Undergraduate Bulletin year you are following. Most newer students will track their progress with Degree Works; many students who are nearer to graduation will find their degree evaluation on CAPP. Students are encouraged to consult their departmental or concentration graduation plan of study regularly.

I am thinking about changing my major. How can I find out how that may impact when I will graduate?
Students can explore their options by doing an 'what-if analysis' in CAPP or Degree Works.

I do not know who my advisor is. How do I find out?
Students can watch a video or follow instructions for looking up the name of an advisor on the Students First website.

I've been admitted to UNCG. Am I 'automatically' in my major?
NO! Many majors in the School of HHS have secondary admission requirements, including completion of certain course work or a minimum GPA. Check with your department, or Director of Undergraduate Study for details.

How do I register for courses?
Students can access step-by-step instructions for registering for classes at the Students First web page. Remember, students should consult with an advisor at least once or twice a year. These faculty and staff are specially trained to help keep students 'on track' for graduation. Preparing beforehand to make the most of these meetings is important. Students are encouraged to consult their departmental or concentration plan of study in preparation for registering for courses.

I took several advanced placement tests when I was in High School. I also graduated from an International Baccalaureate Program. Do any of these count as college credit?
Students should consult the Office of Admissions website to determine if Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate scores meet requirements for college credits.

I am a transfer student. How can I find out which of my courses will transfer to UNCG?
Typically, only courses with grades of C or higher transfer to UNCG. There is no limit on how many credits a student can transfer from an approved 4 year institution; but, only 64 credits can be transferred from an approved 2 year institution. Only the credit transfers from another institution. Grades (or GPA) do not transfer! Students can transfer courses from the NC Community College System or from other approved 2 or 4 year institution.

I must have a minimum GPA to qualify for admission to my major or to join a campus group. How can I calculate my GPA?
Students may wish to compute their GPA for a number of reasons, including how to raise their overall GPA, or how it will change after grade replacement. They may calculate a GPA based on different scenarios at the Students First Office website.

I do not think that I was graded fairly in a course I just completed. Do I have any recourse? Can I get my grade changed?
Students must file an appeal for a grade change within 6 months after the grade is posted. They must first discuss their concerns with their instructor. If any issues remain unresolved, they may appeal to the Department Chair/Head, and then to the Dean of the School. When determining whether to appeal a grade, students should make certain that their concern is considered to be in a category that warrants an appeal. In the School of HHS, students should complete the grade appeal form.

Students with other concerns/complaints (other than grades) should consult the HHS complaint process for students.