The master of science (M.S.) in chemistry engages students in robust coursework and stimulating research under the guidance of award-winning faculty. Students learn the chemical and biochemical principles needed to discover, develop, and design new approaches to fundamental challenges related to health, education, the environment, and energy.
The required 30 credit hours includes courses in the four major areas of chemistry (analytical, inorganic, organic, and physical), courses in other areas, and a research thesis based on original research carried out under the direction of a faculty advisor.
- With a strong emphasis on teaching, active chemistry faculty include two UNCG Alumni Teaching Excellence Award winners, four College of Arts and Sciences Teaching Excellence award winners, and one UNC Board of Governors Teaching Excellence Award winner.
- Faculty research is funded by the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, N.C. Biotechnology Center, and the American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund.
- The program is accredited by the American Chemical Society.
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- The M.S. in chemistry requires completion of at least 30 semester hours of advanced coursework in the four major areas of chemistry (analytical, inorganic, organic, and physical).
- Students must write a master’s thesis based on original research carried out under the direction of a faculty advisor.
- Students gain experience in professional speaking by preparing and presenting two public seminars.
- Students pursue careers in biochemical sciences, academia, medicine, biotechnology, and the pharmaceutical industry.
- Recent graduates have secured positions as:
- Certifying Scientist, Ameritox, Greensboro, North Carolina.
- Laboratory Manager, Mass Spectrometry Facility, UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Staff Scientist in Analytical Sciences/Metabolomics at the David H. Murdock Research Institute in Kannapolis, North Carolina.
- Analytical/R&D Lab Manager for Qvape Juice, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Quality and Regulatory Safety Associate with New Chapter Inc., a subsidiary of Procter & Gamble, Brattleboro, Vermont.
Get more information
Want more information? Let’s get started!