UNC Greensboro is well-known and highly respected for its outstanding teacher education programs. The Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education combines a rigorous academic program with extensive clinical practice in partner school sites. By the time students graduate and have completed student-teaching, they will have accumulated more than 1,000 hours of classroom experience! Graduates earn their initial licensure to teach grades K-6 in North Carolina and are well-prepared to lead their own classrooms.
- Ranked in the top category of teacher education programs in the North Carolina Institutions of Higher Education (IHE) rankings for three consecutive years.
- Accreditations and affiliations include Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI).
The Student Experience
- State-of-the-art SELF (Student Educator Learning Factory) Design Studio gives students hands-on practice with technologies for the 21st-century classroom.
- Close, personal support from faculty advisers and mentors; extensive feedback in a caring, high-quality environment.
- Students progress through professional studies in teams of about 25 under the guidance of a faculty member, retired classroom teacher, or doctoral student who serves as your field supervisor and weekly seminar leader.
- About 1,000 hours of hands-on experience are obtained by graduation (three semesters of approximately 10 hours/week in a classroom setting and a fourth semester spent student teaching).
- Students also complete an approved second academic concentration of at least 18 semester hours.
Be sure to meet with your academic advisor each semester for more details pertaining to your program of study.
- Upon completion of the programs, students earn a North Carolina initial teaching license for grades K-6.
- Graduates are sought after by employers because of the extensive field experience they receive in their major.
- Potential career paths include:
- Elementary Teacher (K-6)
- Special Education Teacher
- Reading or Math Coach
- Guidance Counselor
- School Principal
- Curriculum Designer
- Museum Educator
Want more information? Let’s get started!