This program focuses on the creative production and critical consumption of a range of moving-image media and prepares students for careers in many media specialties. Majors have opportunities to study and produce narrative and documentary film, media production, television, and documentary-style video journalism.
- The Department of Media Studies at UNCG offers courses relating to a wide array of moving-image media: video and media production; critical and historical study of film, television, and electronic media; video journalism and documentary; and screen and television writing.
- Faculty includes several distinguished scholars, award-winning filmmakers, and creative artists, such as Dr. David Cook, author of “A History of Narrative Film,” the definitive history of motion pictures used worldwide; Dr. Jeffrey T. Adams, author of “The Cinema of the Coen Brothers: Hard-Boiled Entertainments;” and Dr. Emily Edwards, author of “Graphic Violence: Illustrated Theories About Violence, Popular Media, and Our Social Lives.”
- Our experienced and well-versed faculty members have worked alongside industry professionals in both film and television.
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- Classes are also offered in niche areas such as animation production, sportscasting, feature film writing, and media financing.
- Students can join CM Studios, a vibrant student club focused on film production.
- UNCG has an on-campus radio station where students can work for academic credit.
- Students gain hands-on experience creating their own films and TV shows, from concept to screening.
- There are numerous opportunities for students to participate in film, television, radio, print, and web-based media internships.
- A robust equipment room is available, where students can rent production-grade equipment at no cost.
- Graduates have gone on to work on shows such as “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,” “First Man,” “Lovecraft Country,” “Wandavision,” and “The Walking Dead.”
- Graduates have found positions at Lionsgate, New Republic Pictures, Trailer Park Productions, Sony Animation, HBO, Fox Broadcasting Co., WNCN Raleigh, WGHP-TV High Point, and Spectrum News, NC.
- Upon completion of the program, students have earned advanced degrees at schools including the University of Southern California, UCLA, Florida State University, and Savannah College of Art and Design.
- Potential career paths include:
- TV Producer
- Production Manager
- Entertainment Lawyer
- Stage Manager
- Public Relations Manager
Get more information
Want more information? Let’s get started!