The American Politics concentration provides Political Science majors with sufficient breadth and depth of knowledge in American political institutions and behavior to give students the academic background necessary to succeed in related jobs and professions and to prepare them for advanced study in this field.
- Faculty members are nationally recognized scholars who are committed to undergraduate education.
- The undergraduate political science curriculum offers a broad liberal arts education along with a comprehensive understanding of the nature and functioning of the political process, in addition to a sound foundation for graduate study or careers that require knowledge of governance and the political process.
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- Internship experience with local government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and political campaigns.
- Opportunities to collaborate with faculty on research; undergraduate research scholarships available.
- Our Washington Summer Study Session is offered every other summer for three weeks in Washington, D.C.
- A choice of electives in American politics, law, international relations, comparative political systems, public policy, and administration.
- Participation in the Political Awareness Club, Model United Nations Club, and Pi Sigma Alpha (the political science honor society).
- Provides preparation for careers that require knowledge of governance and the political process.
- Graduates pursue careers in a range of fields, including state, local, and federal government; nonprofit organizations; and international affairs.
- Provides preparation for graduate study in political science, public administration, and nonprofit management.
- The pre-law concentration prepares graduates to enter law school and the legal professions.
- Teacher licensure prepares students for teaching careers.
- Potential career paths:
- Public Relations Manager
- Urban Planner
- Public Affairs Specialist
- Policy Analyst
get more information
Want more information? Let’s get started!