Note: Many of these are links that were carried over from the Spring 2014 class, and are being updated with new material for Spring 2017. It's a work in progress!
The following links are to additional information that is useful to students in CSC 100 (The Beauty and Joy of Computing). These links are a few sources of information, but don't restrict yourself to just these links! Follow your curiosity! See what you can discover!
CS Principles, The Beauty and Joy Class, and Snap!
- College Board CS Principles page -- information on the College Board plans for this class as an AP class, including links to the AP Curriculum Framework document
- CS Principles project web site
- UC Berkeley CS10: This is the Berkeley class that is the inspiration for our class. It's not exactly the same, but there are probably things at the Berkeley class that you would find interesting.
- Snap! project
For Freshman (or anyone else who wants to succeed in college!)
- UNCG Student Success Center - we want you to succeed!
- U Can't Talk to Ur Professor Like This - from the New York Times
Blown to Bits
- Blown To Bits - the web site for the Blown to Bits, including a full online copy
Relevant to Chapter 1
- EPIC (Electronic Privacy Information Center)
- In particular: EPIC information on Online Tracking and Behavioral Profiling
- "Did You Know" video - one of a collection of videos about globalization and IT. A few years old now, but still very relevant
- Disk Drive Prices (1955-2013) - cost of storage!
- Cyberbullying Research Center
Information Relevant to Particular Class Topics
- Algorithms: TED Talk: How Algorithms Shape Our World - video of a presentation by Kevin Slavin at TED on ways we have become dependent on algorithms.
Artificial Intelligence Videos and Information
- General overview videos:
- IBM Watson: Final Jeopardy! and the Future of Watson (10:15)
- The Future of Robotics and Artificial Intelligence (Andrew Ng) (16:27)
- Some interesting readings:
- Videos of some specific robots:
- Plen - skateboarding
- Plen - cleaning up
- Asimo - commercial
- Asimo - Sundance Film Festival
- Google Car - ABC News report
- The "Singularity":
On Learning and College
- Richard Feynman on Education in Brazil - experiences of Richard Feynman, nobel prize winner in Physics (and all around interesting genius), on the education system in Brazil, and the difference between knowing facts and learning a subject