The Master of Arts in geography enables students to gain advanced-level proficiency in geographic concepts and methodologies. The Sustainability concentration is designed for students who want to deepen their study of the relationship between humans and their impact on the earth.
The degree culminates in one of three projects: thesis, internship project, or non-thesis/professional portfolio.
- The Department of Geography offers an optional accelerated master’s degree, allowing qualified students to earn both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees in geography in as little as five years.
- Master’s degree students are closely mentored by award-winning faculty who are world-renowned researchers in their fields.
- Students have access to modern geographic technology, including an oversized cartographic plotter, GPS equipment, and computers with industry-standard software programs like Arc/Info, ArcView, ERDAS Imagine, ArcGIS, Surfer, AtlasGIS, MapInfo, and ER Mapper.
- State-of-the-art laboratories – like the Geomorphology and Weather and Climate Lab and the Regolith Analysis Laboratory – offer in-depth geographic analysis using the latest precision instruments.
- The program’s accreditations and affiliations include:
- Association for Environmental Studies & Sciences.
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.
- National Council for Science and the Environment.
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- Students work directly with a faculty advisor to undertake their research project(s) and plan major due dates.
- Competitive funding packages are available including teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and graduate school fellowships.
- Graduate students attend professional conferences and colloquiums and are encouraged to present and/or publish their theses and dissertations.
- Graduates have found careers in business and industry, urban and regional planning agencies, departments of federal and state governments, and teaching.
- Potential career paths include:
- Emergency Management Planner
- Environmental Planner
- Remote Sensing Analyst
- GIS Analyst
- Transportation Manager
- Urban/City Planner
Get more information
Want more information? Let’s get started!