The Master of Arts in geography enables students to gain advanced-level proficiency in geographic concepts and methodologies. Master’s degree students choose one of three subfields in which to specialize: Urban Planning, Transportation and Regional Economic Development; Earth Science and Natural Resource Management; or Geographic Information Science.
The degree culminates in one of three projects: thesis, internship project, or non-thesis/professional portfolio.
- The Department of Geography offers an optional accelerated master’s degree, allowing qualified students to earn both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees in geography in as little as five years.
- Master’s degree students are closely mentored by award-winning faculty who are world-renowned researchers in their fields.
- Students have access to modern geographic technology, including an oversized cartographic plotter, GPS equipment, and computers with industry-standard software programs like Arc/Info, ArcView, ERDAS Imagine, ArcGIS, Surfer, AtlasGIS, MapInfo, and ER Mapper.
- State-of-the-art laboratories – like the Geomorphology and Weather and Climate Lab and the Regolith Analysis Laboratory – offer in-depth geographic analysis using the latest precision instruments.
- UNC Greensboro is ranked as one of the nation’s most environmentally responsible colleges, according to the Princeton Review (2020).
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- Students work directly with a faculty advisor to undertake their research project(s) and plan major due dates.
- Competitive funding packages are available including teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and graduate school fellowships.
- Graduate students attend professional conferences and colloquiums and are encouraged to present and/or publish their theses and dissertations.
- Graduates have found careers in business and industry, urban and regional planning agencies, departments of federal and state governments, and teaching.
- Potential career paths include:
- Emergency Management Planner
- Environmental Planner
- Remote Sensing Analyst
- GIS Analyst
- Transportation Manager
- Urban/City Planner
Get more information
Want more information? Let’s get started!